ROPE ON SALE AT MENARDS

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I am a fan of braided nylon.
Seldom on sale of course.

What matters along with breaking strength ,(how about shock strength? l.o.l.) is choosing a knot that offers greatest strength , as the knot can often be the weakest point.

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I prefer the hollow braided poly rope in the 250 lb range. It does not hold water and dries very fast and after you bring it home and do a brief clean up it is ready to go for the next trip. I just use a garden hose and a standard spray nozzle to clean the rope and magnet and then apply a bit of liquid car wax to the magnet, wipe it clean and it is ready to go and does not rust.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
www.atwoodrope.net About midrange prices. They even have glow in the dark rope! Got some of the 3/8ths for a project in the bright orange with a black stripe and I can see it from a mile away. We compared it to my friends climbing rope & the only difference we could see was about $100 and a certification.

Kace

Bronze Member
Aug 15, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Whites Bullseye 2 Pointer, Audio 200 D Headphones,
Garrett AT MAX, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT, MS-3 Headphones,
Lesche Digger, Lesche Shovel, 4' T Handle Probe.
GoPro, RC Truck, Drone.
Primary Interest:
Other
I use string line rope most all of the time. VERY STRONG. You can get it at any contractors supply store.

Kace

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use string line rope most all of the time. VERY STRONG. You can get it at any contractors supply store.

Kace

I tried the string and para cord on my first Home Depot/Harbor Freight style magnets and found it lacked the girth and was to thin for any comfort when pulling in anything heavy. The Poly braided rope has a bit of mass and is far more easier on the old hands at the end of the day. The poly will dry quickly also. String line is rated pretty low in tinsel strength and it is surely not my choice to have an expensive magnet attached to and being thrown into the kind of environment that we magnet fish in.

Last edited:

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I tried the string and para cord on my first Home Depot/Harbor Freight style magnets and found it lacked the girth and was to thin for any comfort when pulling in anything heavy. The Poly braided rope has a bit of mass and is far more easier on the old hands at the end of the day. The poly will dry quickly also. String line is rated pretty low in tinsel strength and it is surely not my choice to have an expensive magnet attached to and being thrown into the kind of environment that we magnet fish in.
When he's saying string line does he mean masons twine? The yellow, pink, lime green stuff on spools? If that's what he's using, my hats off to him! Makes me nervous tying up beans with it! Get on the link I left above they've got way more than you'll find at the box stores. Try the 3/8 stuff you'll like it! Try a piece, tie your knots as usual, but stitch through the knots with upholstery thread using a sailmakers or packers needle. Works excellent for anchor ropes too! Give it a try you won't lose a hook again!

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am a fan of braided nylon.
Seldom on sale of course.

What matters along with breaking strength ,(how about shock strength? l.o.l.) is choosing a knot that offers greatest strength , as the knot can often be the weakest point.

I agree. Most people seem to have an aversion to learning knots, but they are your greatest servants. Take the time to learn them and they might save your life someday. They certainly will make life easier.

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When he's saying string line does he mean masons twine? The yellow, pink, lime green stuff on spools? If that's what he's using, my hats off to him! Makes me nervous tying up beans with it! Get on the link I left above they've got way more than you'll find at the box stores. Try the 3/8 stuff you'll like it! Try a piece, tie your knots as usual, but stitch through the knots with upholstery thread using a sailmakers or packers needle. Works excellent for anchor ropes too! Give it a try you won't lose a hook again!

If you google "string line" it shows pictures of the mason twine-carpenters twine, Maybe I just do not know what string he is describing.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you google "string line" it shows pictures of the mason twine-carpenters twine, Maybe I just do not know what string he is describing.
Thanks! That's what I thought he was talking about. I can't use para cord can't grip it & sure wouldn't to wrap it around my hand. Either way hats off to him if he's using it!

Kace

Bronze Member
Aug 15, 2017
Detector(s) used
GoPro, RC Truck, Drone.
Primary Interest:
Other
When he's saying string line does he mean masons twine? The yellow, pink, lime green stuff on spools? If that's what he's using, my hats off to him! Makes me nervous tying up beans with it!

No...I'm talking about the line that excavation companies use to set grade for roads and curbs. It's Usually white in color and is Extremely Strong, Dries Quick and Does Not Snap like some lines or ropes and rarely if ever tangles. Since it's designed to be used and re-used over and over outside, it doesn't wear out easily. I have no idea without looking at the boxes what the composition is.

It is not large in diameter...I use it on anchors and canopies too. I'll throw a high dollar magnet with this line any day.

Knowing how to tie good knots is a benefit for sure and this line doesn't loosen easily like some do.

Kace

Kace

Bronze Member
Aug 15, 2017
Detector(s) used
GoPro, RC Truck, Drone.
Primary Interest:
Other

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting