Haven't even started yet.

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good morning fella's, ANY advice welcome. Magnet fishing has always held an interest for me, I've been metal detecting for 30yrs. now, and of course it's always been, "You just never know what your going to find". Same holds true for this part of the, "Treasure hunting hobby" it seems. A friend and I have been talking about trying it out, and any and all advice would be welcome from the guys who know. Now I'm 66 and my friend is 70, so we already know we do not want a monster 1000lb. pull magnet. There is good stuff on this sub-forum, such as "deerhuntinghippie's" Best Knot, and great idea from "bowwinkles's" set up in the "Magnet getting stuck" thread. I see that a braded poly rope is preferred, and there are different shapes sizes of magnet's themselves. Two pretty good places here to walk into and shop, a Home Depot, and a Harbor Freight, and I'm guessing a 250lb magnet to get our ropes wet? In a manner of speaking. What would YOU fella's suggest for getting started, the best source of advice is from the guys on this Forum I believe. So, posting this thread is MY first step. When I started metal detecting years ago, it was all trial and error, on my own, that was long before lap-tops and Treasure Net, but now, being able to go onto this Forum, well...it just might help reduce some of the error part. Well...that's all I've got. Good fishing to you all, be it dirt or magnet.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I'd been giving it thought myself. Thanks for kicking it off as a subject.

nomad 11

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2009
nomads land
Detector(s) used
any tector i can get my hands on
as my daddy would always say ? lets give it a whirl. in what ever context. can t remember though ? let us know.

lairmo

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2009
SW MO
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro/ Fisher M-Scope 1280-X
I didn't do so well with the harbor freight magnets....everything was either too big and came off or something...

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I didn't do so well with the harbor freight magnets....everything was either too big and came off or something...

Thanks for bringing that up. If I'd have jumped into this, that's where I'd have probably gone. Been considering magnet fishing for several years since I started reading finds postings, and of course looked at HF's.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Just watched a video of Magnet fishing...looks like a fun time! :occasion14:

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
oh yeah ? getting you hands dirty and pulling in junk ? i'm gonna have to give that a whirl some day ?

Hmm, Fellow with a 25K bass boat , drops his Glock off the edge of his boat when he pulls out his bag to get his flashlight.

Dock fisherman knocks his $45 Leatherman multi tool off the edge of the dock.

Mom drops her new smart phone off the rail where she had placed it.

Fellow working on his boat engine tips his tool box and things fall off into the water.

Then along comes mr. magnet fisherman and tries his luck and sure enough he pulls in some of that JUNK and in the process he gets a little mud on his magnet fishing gloves. Now that is a sad tail but true.

OP
OP
S

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
oh yeah ? getting you hands dirty and pulling in junk ? i'm gonna have to give that a whirl some day ?

Sounds a lot like metal detecting, and you are still doing that, right?

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread