Jul 29, 2017
The Old North State
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600
Tesoro Cutlass
Bounty Hunter Tracker II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went to B. Everett Jordan Lake to drop my magnet into the channel for a quick peek. As it turns out, 50 feet of rope is not enough to reach the bottom of the channel from the top of the bridge. I tossed the magnet out into shallower water and, much to my dismay, it got caught on the rocks. I had to leave it with the hopes that I can retrieve it from my kayak. Live and learn.

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fishing with a magnet over 50 feet is a whole lot of work and takes a lot of the fun out of the hobby. good luck on ur recovery of the lost tool.

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Sure hope you retrieve your magnet! :icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
S

Stringtyer

Jul 29, 2017
The Old North State
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600
Tesoro Cutlass
Bounty Hunter Tracker II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the good wishes about recovering my magnet. I'll be going out in my kayak on Monday and try to retrieve it. I left the rope attached to a point on shore so I may be able to get to the other side of the rocks and pull it free from there.

Does having a conical magnet or one with a tapered surround make it easier to retrieve a magnet? Any help will be appreciated.

OP
OP
S

Stringtyer

Jul 29, 2017
The Old North State
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600
Tesoro Cutlass
Bounty Hunter Tracker II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Alas, I did not retrieve my magnet. The area where it got stuck in the rocks is very popular with crappie fishermen and I suspect that someone saw the rope and followed it to a nice magnet. I certainly can't blame them for recovering and keeping it ... and I hope they find some cool things with it.

I've ordered a new one and have made a cone for it on the 3D printer at the school where I substitute teach most often.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread