Brute Magnetics choice of magnet

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well fella's, I haven't begun magnet fishing yet, but I do have an interest. A friend of mine and myself plan on giving it a go soon, we are both seniors and just want to play around with it a bit. I have watched a number videos on T-Net, and have found a lot of great information. Now, there are a number of guys who like magnets from "Brute Magnetics", I went to there website, and found what I think might be ideal for us. They offer a Plastic cone with a 2.95 Dia. Fishing Magnet either in a 350 or 400lb pull. As a couple of guys who are a little old and shot, I don't believe we would need anything over 400lb's worth of pull, not looking to haul in a piece of railroad track, and the cone seems like a good thing to have on it. There is a video on T-Net that shows a dandy way of making a home made one, but then I saw this package (Cone and magnet) together. Is anyone familiar with this? I'm already ready to order two of them, but I do wonder on any thoughts from the guys who KNOW magnet fishing. Also, they seem to sell "Para Cord" type rope, or would something from say a Home Depot do, something in a nylon with of course a higher strength then the magnet. Thread lock? I can get that most anywhere. Listen, any thoughts or comments would be most welcome. I've dirt fished for 30yrs. but would be newer than new to magnet fishing.

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi sprailroad, wanting to get out of the house has led all of us down various paths which most of us have survived, magnet fishing Hmm.

ParaCord has a 'dry' burst strength around 500 lbs hence the designation Paracord 500. As it is made from Nylon it absorbs water so once wet it looses strength and stretches more. Any nylon will absorb moisture however, some of the slightly larger but high quality 'Static' ropes used in and around mountain climbing might be useful for magnet fishing. Check out REI.com for climbing rope with a 1/4 inch to 3/8 inch diameter (they might list them in millimeters so 6mm to 9.5mm) and yes they will be more expensive than say a cotton clothes line rope but if taken good care of (including hanging them out loosely coiled to dry, storing them wet will allow them to mold and fall apart). You will need to learn to tie special knots in any nylon line (internet info available) to keep the knots tied.

The last time I was in Grants Pass I do not recall seeing an REI store but that was a few years back. Then again there may still be a mining & prospecting store there out near the highway and they may carry rope suitable for water submersion. Of course, I'm being picky about this though you do need to have a rope that can be easily knotted and not have it come undone during a heavy pull so you do Need the Proper type of rope And Knots.

Best of success with your Adventure................63bkpkr

Last edited:

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The burte setup with the cone is a very nice unit. Para cord would not be mu choice for a couple reasons . First off is the diameter which is very small and second the water holding. I prefer the braided poly rope that you can get in most hardware stores. The 400 lb magnet range is a good choice but you can still get into trouble if you get to close to a metal dock like I did. I had to take my shovel to get it loose.

OP
OP
S

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK then, thank you 63bkpkr and bowwinkles both for your response, the advice on the rope is good enough for me, and a poly rope will be the one. I will check the Armadillo mining shop in town here, if not there, the Home Depot has tons of various types of rope. The 400lb? Yup, I'll just go with the 350lb choice, after all, something about baby steps? And the knot tying, cannot remember who the video was put out by, but it was about just that subject with a really clear "show & tell" instruction, right here on T-Net. The reason for the "cone combo" set up offered, is that in watching some of the T-Net videos, there seems to be a big difference between the method of "casting" and say "dropping" a magnet, the casting would almost be a guarantee of snagging it, and most places here has A LOT of rocks and boulders, and when the magnet sinks as in casting, I can just see the rope going down between two boulders, and when you start pulling? I think the "drop" method will work for us, the cone just seemed like a little insurance in a manner of speaking. Thanks again fella's. Dave

Last edited:

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sprail, ck out the sticky at the top of this thread and there is some pretty good data in there.

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yup, Armadillo mining shop is what I was thinking of but could not recall the name.

I forgot about my thinking, I'm Always going for super strength in whatever I build, it lasts but the cost is more! This site is so unique as one is always learning something like the technique of dropping straight down versus throwing it way out there. I would think that at some point one will take the chance of throwing the magnet/rope just to see what is out in the middle of the water. A snatch block or light weight cable puller might (?) be handy to have around when something does snag the rope as it would save a persons back from being pulled out of whack? bowwinkles your thoughts.

350 versus 400 lb pull magnets - now I've not done magnet fishing though I've watched a few videos of it but I'm thinking that the magnet will only contact a small portion of the surface area of any magnetic object. Once the lifting forces are applied and the object snags on something 'down there' then that extra 50 lbs of force applied to that small surface area might be worth having?? bowwinkles what is your input here on loosing an object while pulling it back up and magnet size?!

For sure staying away from metal bridges with a 350 or 400 lb force magnet is another thing I'd of never thought of till my magnet was in full contact with it! That must have been an 'Uh Oh' moment!................63bkpkr

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good thoughts all fella's, not just for me, but for others as well. It will only be a part time thing with me, detecting has been a 30yr passion for me, but the magnet fishing I think will add a little something when the occasion should arise, I have just ordered the two magnets, and will pick up the ropes and threadlock after they arrive. And of course find the right thread about the correct knot tie, to use the same one I tie my shoe with, I mean even I would say, Really? Thanks again for your reply's, I'm finally getting started.

OP
OP
S

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bowwinkles, THAT was the video I was going to search for on T-Net, for the best knot tie, thank you. Called Brute Magnetics, ordered what I wanted, good outfit to deal with, should be shipped out tomorrow.

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gentlemen, that is just superb information!................63bkpkr

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great Thread!

Now I'm thinking of getting a Magnet fishing setup, just in case! :occasion14:

ohiodigman

Aug 16, 2013
You guys have me pumped about magnet fishing!! I want to go right now and do it, however, not much on top of the ice haha,,,,, can’t wait till spring time HH to y’all

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Many of the parks and rec areas that we all visit to metal detect also have a small lake or pond with a pier, which is just the place to go play with your magnet when the metal detecting gets slow. Just take the second box and keep it in your truck with the MD stuff in one and MF stuff in the other. Pull out the magnet and visit the pond. Gloves are also needed for that function. I also keep a fold up trash bag in my pocket for some of the trash like we do with our finds bag when metal detecting. Don't leave a mess on the pier.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread