Jul 29, 2017
The Old North State
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600
Tesoro Cutlass
Bounty Hunter Tracker II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A few weeks ago, I posted about getting my magnet stuck on the rocks at a bridge at B. Everett Jordan Lake. I finally got out to try and recover it only to find that some lucky fisherman is the proud new owner of it. Good for him or her.

I just ordered a new magnet (330 pound pull) and want to rig it to, perhaps, make it less susceptible to getting hung up. I know that part of the problem is my own bravado in thinking I can throw anywhere with no risk ... I get that part.

I looked at magnets that come with poly cones but the cost was a bit much for my budget right now so I ordered a "naked" magnet and will create my own cone. I have access to a 3D printer and will make the cone from ABS plastic which should be fairly sturdy. I'll probably use 550 paracord but am open to other suggestions.

How do you store your magnet when not using it? I kept mine in the original box with a cutout to let the rope extend out. I kept the rope on a spool used to store Christmas lights. The problem with that system is that the box wore out over time (wet, tossed around in the truck, etc.). I'm looking for a way to keep the working face of the magnet safe (from hurting someone or something). What suggestions do you have?

Also, do any of you use any type of cover on the face of your magnet when using it or do you fish it "naked". I know that any barrier would result in a loss of pull but don't know how much. Again, ideas and suggestions, please.

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used a plastic jar lid and I gorilla taped a large washer on the outside. When stuck on ur magnet it becomes very safe. I just use my magents open with no cover, I use a garden sprayer to clean it when I return and wipe it down with some liquid car wax then dry it. This works well for me.

magnets

Feb 29, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is very important to choose a magnet for magnetic fishing. If you choose (deleted by mod rule infraction)N52, it will be great.

Last edited by a moderator:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is very important to choose a magnet for magnetic fishing. If you choose (deleted by mod rule infraction)N52, it will be great.

Sorry, if you want to advertise website you are required to be paying supporting vendor.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread