Can jewlery be found magnet fishing? Newbie with general questions

Leftylyons

May 13, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im a newbie. And i know there isnt a better place to get the inside scoop and true knowledge then here. So i was wondering is jewlery possible at all to get magnet fishing? Has anyone ever found any this way. I have to take a break from detecting because where i live it is getting really popular and its getting hard to find new spots. Also what is the essential gear to bring out when i go. I appreciate all who reply and dont.

No gold in NY

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2015
Detector(s) used
Whites Coin Master,
Whites Gold Master GMT, Whites MXSport
High banker/dredge,
DIY hand trommel,
DIY Miller table,
DIY fluidbed gold trap sluice,
Keene A-52 A-52s
2186 Wheaties
Primary Interest:
Other
I guess you could find jewelry magnet fishing if it is made of iron. I prefer gold and silver myself.

No gold in NY

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2015
Detector(s) used
Whites Coin Master,
Whites Gold Master GMT, Whites MXSport
High banker/dredge,
DIY hand trommel,
DIY Miller table,
DIY fluidbed gold trap sluice,
Keene A-52 A-52s
2186 Wheaties
Primary Interest:
Other
Welcome to TreasureNet Leftylyons. Good to have you aboard.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The only jewelry you could find with a magnet, isnt any kind of jewelry you'd want.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The only thing on a good piece of jewelry that would be attracted to a magnet would be the spring in a clasp. Even with a big magnet there's not enough to support the weight. Coins no. Before spending money on a rig, go to someplace like Harbor Freight and pickup a cheap magnet. Try it out on things you have around the house to learn with. If you're in an area you think there might be a lot of fishing tackle try a grapnel. We used to make our own, but you can buy them online or at some of the well stocked fish & tackle stores. Honestly? Over the years I've found twenty or thirty times more valuable goodies "chucking hook" than I've found with magnets.

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have seen several videos on u tube that showed individuals finding small hand bags and purses that had either magnetic metal frames or maybe a magnetic item inside and also had some jewelry items in them along with other items.

The Magnet Angler

Nov 18, 2017
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes you could if the jewelry was poor quality OR the container the GOOD jewelry was in was magnetic. I have a magnet fishing buddy in Europe who has found probably a hundred safes, and a good many of those believe it or not still have stuff in em. He also throws grappling hooks and they will latch onto a purse bag sometimes

The Magnet Angler

Nov 18, 2017
Primary Interest:
Other
The only thing on a good piece of jewelry that would be attracted to a magnet would be the spring in a clasp. Even with a big magnet there's not enough to support the weight. Coins no. Before spending money on a rig, go to someplace like Harbor Freight and pickup a cheap magnet. Try it out on things you have around the house to learn with. If you're in an area you think there might be a lot of fishing tackle try a grapnel. We used to make our own, but you can buy them online or at some of the well stocked fish & tackle stores. Honestly? Over the years I've found twenty or thirty times more valuable goodies "chucking hook" than I've found with magnets.

I disagree, don't bother with the harbor freight piece of junk magnet, that will not give you a true sense of magnet fishing. That thing will drop anything you find over 5 lbs especially if you don't have a flat connection (sometimes the items are round). My magnet has pulled out 100 lbs items, even a 40+ lbs torque converter which is round and the magnet was not even fully connected. You don't wanna use a weak magnet your first time, you might lose something it sticks to.

nomad 11

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2009
nomads land
Detector(s) used
any tector i can get my hands on
only junk jewelry i.e plated i.e ferrous metals. precious metals are non ferrous i.e gold silver brass copper and if you're really lucky platinum. i'm not lucky though

TheCoinKid

Apr 16, 2013
Texas
Primary Interest:
Other
Precious metals (coins, jewelry, etc.) can sometimes be found in clumps of oxidized iron, if down there long enough. If you're looking in a place with a long history, or the site of a shipwreck, then yes, it's possible. Otherwise, highly unlikely.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Possible depending what its made of

gallileo60

Apr 30, 2007
Gulf Coast, Texas
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Ace 250, Garrett 1350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Harbor freight at one time sold a pretty good magnet..Big with an eyelet on it..I pulled a 55 gallon drum with a bunch of mud in it out of dickinson bayou....

Last edited:

Mekong Mike

Jul 22, 2013
Vietnam, Saigon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If the jewelry is in an iron safe you will be successful. I found some jewelry while scuba diving a lake near the Miami Airport years ago. A bunch of stuff in a pillow case. A few military medals from World War 2 also. I lost it all when I let somebody have it to look over and then it just got away from me. Nothing really valuable however.

Last edited:

bartholomewroberts

Feb 23, 2011
Cedar, B.C.
Detector(s) used
excal2, XP Deus, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes you can.. Many years back, I was magnet fishing and pulled a small jewellery box up.. It had 3 gold rings, two gold chains and 3 silver chains.. Obviously by themselves the jewellery could not be brought up with a magnet... but the case , having a steel framework under the vinyl, did attach

Micheal

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes you can.. Many years back, I was magnet fishing and pulled a small jewellery box up.. It had 3 gold rings, two gold chains and 3 silver chains.. Obviously by themselves the jewellery could not be brought up with a magnet... but the case , having a steel framework under the vinyl, did attach

Micheal

That's very cool!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread