What product to keep eyelet in magnet, but able to be removed later?

MrMarsHill

Jan 15, 2019
Mars Hill NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 300, current main user.
Garret AT Propointer, current main user.
Garrett GTAX750, classic machine and I love it!
Bounty hunter tracker iv, missing knob bought used on eBay... Still find
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi guys! I recently LOST my fishing magnet on a trip... dumb accident, dont even ask lol. I purchased a new one, double sided with 2 eyelet holes. One on top, one in the side. I'm sure your familiar with the design. On my last magnet, I had one eyelet hole. I used a JB weld product and screwed it in for good. I think I could have possibly broke it loose eventually if needed, but it was STUCK! I wouldnt have wanted to try, just scrap it at that point lol. Now I want to have similar security, but I want to be able to remove the eyelets and change orientations(top pull to side pull) without having to bring a tool box to bust it free. What would you use? I've thought about a glue I use in lots of projects called e6000. It's very strong, but it has a little flex to it when dry. I feel like a good grip and I could probably bust the eyelet free but still have enough strength to not lose my magnet in the water. Im not sure if the slight "flex" in the cured e6000 glue would be a pro or con as for losing the magnet? I'm just looking for suggestions. What would/do/have you used? Was it removable without being loose? Should I just get some medium strength threadlock and plan to need some pliers etc ro change the eyelet? Any and all suggestions are welcome! I'm ready to go throw this baby in the water, but I want it to come back to me, lol! Thanks in advance!
Jim Brown
Bonez Customs and Collectables
@bonezcustoms on IG

GopherDaGold

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2009
St. Charles County, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Teknetics Delta 4000, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would not recommend having a removable eye bolt. I believe you would risk losing your magnet. A magnet fishing rig, like a chain, is only as strong as it's weakest point or link. Making an eye bolt removable would cause your eye bolt to become that weakest point.
Better to have multiple magnets available for different conditions.

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
if there is enough thread used a nylon locking nut above to screw against the connection nice and tight.

SanMan

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2012
West Coast
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, AT Max, AT Gold - Tesoro Euro Sabre - Tesoro Bandido II uMax - Troy X2 - Tesoro Stingray - Mojave - Fisher 1280X- Fisher 1235X - and many more.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Consider one of these,......

Just one small tool, an Allen wrench.
Perfect for lifting a load without stress to the set up.

eye bolt.JPG

OP
OP
MrMarsHill

MrMarsHill

Jan 15, 2019
Mars Hill NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 300, current main user.
Garret AT Propointer, current main user.
Garrett GTAX750, classic machine and I love it!
Bounty hunter tracker iv, missing knob bought used on eBay... Still find
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I understand all the replies, thanks to you all. I have purchased this magnet simply for the fact I wanted to be able to adapt 1 magnet to different conditions... and because I lost my last magnet,lol. I should note that my last magnet wasnt lost because the eyelet came loose. My father uses a locking nut on his magnet, but after our last trip he noticed it had failed and his eyelet was halfway unscrewed. I haven't put a whole bunch of money into the magnet, but I'd obviously rather not lose it. I'm thinking some blue thread lock will be my best bet. I already know its strength and it is removable with hand tools. I like those hoist rings as well! Any other opinions or advice are always appreciated! I'll be looking into all options.

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most folks use "Lock Tight" and it is removable with effort>

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread