Just got a magnet!!!

Coinboy

Dec 4, 2019
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Nokta Makro Simplex, pulsedive, Garrett Ace 200, Nokta pinpointer, Brute Magnetics 888 pound Fishing Magnet
Predatortools
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

GopherDaGold

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2009
St. Charles County, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Teknetics Delta 4000, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BE CAREFUL! That thing will crush an appendage if you're not careful.
Have fun!

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Holy moly that's thing is going to raise the Titanic have fun post your finds

greenman38

Greenie
Jan 20, 2020
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the 1200 lb Brute magnet. If using in the water along piers or docks it's pretty cool, however I tossed mine in a lake and attached to a underwater pipe that didn't want to give it back. I did get it back and have learned to think about the what ifs. I take my kayak out and will troll the bottom of the lagoons with it, and have found some cool things. The other thing I enjoy using mine for, is walking while dragging my magnet along the ground. Found a great stainless steel tool box at the local marina, and found it's owner who in return took me out fishing for returning it. Enjoy, and happy hunting.

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Get you a plastic jar lid like peanut butter lid that will fit over the magnet face and tape a large washer to the outside. Then use this to slip over the business end of your magnet to prevent accidental contact when not in use.

OP
OP
Coinboy

Coinboy

Dec 4, 2019
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Nokta Makro Simplex, pulsedive, Garrett Ace 200, Nokta pinpointer, Brute Magnetics 888 pound Fishing Magnet
Predatortools
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks!

IDXMonster

Mar 16, 2014
New Glarus,WI
Detector(s) used
Current….Deus2, ExplorerSEPro, Explorer2, IDXPro-M
Past….Deus1, CTX3030, Equinox800, eTrac, Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Find any OLD bridges which go over creeks, small rivers or streams and start draggin’. It sounds like a grand adventure!

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You will need more than a jar lid to stop its power from gabbing things.. Keep it away from your truck when walking by as it will latch on and tear it up. Get a good rope also. I have several and have two mounted to the bottom of wood handles from a wheel barrow. I walk in the creeks and probe with them. If it gets stuck all I have to do is turn it sideways to release it. Also serves as a waking stick in the creeks when slippery. I have picked up cut pieces of rail road track. Found some really cool old signs, rusted out guns and tools and fishing gear. I will sometimes clear an area of iron with it then cherry pick targets with my metal detector. I also get old rail road steel with high carbon for my forge. Found a safe face down and have yet to get it up as its in deep water.
Just be careful around your fingers and wear gloves to clean the magnet off.
If you are throwing it with a rope wait till summer in case you get hung up and then you can swim out and get it. Figure if the magnet says 1000 lbs hat is 500 lbs per side.
Have fun its a great way to spend a day. Glad to see people using this area of the forum. We were the first on the net to have a magnet fishing area.

OP
OP
Coinboy

Coinboy

Dec 4, 2019
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Predatortools
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool thanks for all the tips!

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You will need more than a jar lid to stop its power from gabbing things.. Keep it away from your truck when walking by as it will latch on and tear it up. Get a good rope also. I have several and have two mounted to the bottom of wood handles from a wheel barrow. I walk in the creeks and probe with them. If it gets stuck all I have to do is turn it sideways to release it. Also serves as a waking stick in the creeks when slippery. I have picked up cut pieces of rail road track. Found some really cool old signs, rusted out guns and tools and fishing gear. I will sometimes clear an area of iron with it then cherry pick targets with my metal detector. I also get old rail road steel with high carbon for my forge. Found a safe face down and have yet to get it up as its in deep water.
Just be careful around your fingers and wear gloves to clean the magnet off.
If you are throwing it with a rope wait till summer in case you get hung up and then you can swim out and get it. Figure if the magnet says 1000 lbs hat is 500 lbs per side.
Have fun its a great way to spend a day. Glad to see people using this area of the forum. We were the first on the net to have a magnet fishing area.

"You will need more than a jar lid to stop its power from gabbing things".
What I was trying to say is that with the jar lid cover, the contact with major metal areas is much easier and less severe to remove. You are correct in saying they can be dangerous if much care is not taken.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread