Whoever would have thought it.

Simplex

May 5, 2020
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT pro, Nokta Simplex, Bounty Hunter Land Ranger Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got into this about a year ago, pretty neat. would have never thought about throwin a magnet in the water. it's amazing what is in the water. some pics. don't have many of the finds, which I never found nothing valuable.

SANY4495.JPG

SANY4491.JPG

SANY4504.JPG

SANY4584.JPG

SANY4586.JPG

SANY4589.JPG

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Research where CW troops crossed creeks and camped.:icon_thumright: Good luck.

TheHarleyMan2

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2008
Never Know I May Live Next To You!
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500/Bounty Hunter
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got one of the Brute Magnet 880lb set up! I am anxious to go out and try my luck. I don't like the way they have the cord through the loop and just heat shrunk. I am going to take the heat tape off and tie a knot for the carabiner. I certainly would hate to lose the magnet because the rope happened to slip out of the heat shrink! I am going to get a plastic peanut butter jar lid, (3" one) and put it over the magnet and a washer on the outside of the lid. That way I won't have any black sands or other small debris that will get stuck on the magnet and I won't be able to get it off.

Last edited:

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Harley man, The knot that it came with is great and if you choose to tie a knot in it the chances of a hang up would increase. If you are apprehensive then take a couple zip ties and cinch them down very tight to insure slippage does not happen. Good Luck

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Where did you get the magnet and which kind is best?
I think I want One

TheHarleyMan2

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2008
Never Know I May Live Next To You!
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500/Bounty Hunter
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Harley man, The knot that it came with is great and if you choose to tie a knot in it the chances of a hang up would increase. If you are apprehensive then take a couple zip ties and cinch them down very tight to insure slippage does not happen. Good Luck

This is the one I bought. There is no knot. The rope is slipped through the plastic eyelet and folded next to the rope with heat shrink. The picture may show you there is no knot.

https://brutemagnetics.com/collecti...undle-2-95-magnet-rope-carabiner-threadlocker

OP
OP
Simplex

Simplex

May 5, 2020
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mine are just Chinese ones, bought before the corona crap. they work good enough. I even use mine in the boat, after the fish stop biting I throw the magnet out and use the electric trolling motor to drag the banks. This is my biggest, think it's 1700 pounds which I doubt it would hold that much. but on the double sided ones it's 850 each side to make it 1700 total. Always use thread locker on all bolts and even the eye bolt that goes in the magnet. here is also and example of how I tied mine, none have never slipped. Also be careful about getting you fingers between one and a good chunk of metal. it will hurt.lol

SANY4706.JPG

SANY4707.JPG

SANY4870.JPG

OP
OP
Simplex

Simplex

May 5, 2020
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another hint, always tie the other end off to something, your waist or anything to keep from throwing it all in the water.

smallfoot

Bronze Member
May 29, 2019
Flawda
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another tip for keeping your magnet from getting hung up in branches and other V shaped snags is to cut the funnel shaped top of a plastic 2 litre soda bottle off(about 4 or 5") and slip it down the rope and over the magnet. It helps it slide thru branches on your toss.

OP
OP
Simplex

Simplex

May 5, 2020
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pretty good video for new magnet buyers.

Thoadin

Greenie
Sep 1, 2018
Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That video shows me that the single-sided magnet I got a few weeks ago is not good for what I'm doing, which is throwing out into the river and pulling it back. No wonder I never found anything. I guess it's only good for dipping beneath you like from a dock, pier, or small bridge.

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thoadin, The river hunting is fine but the areas where there is a history of human activity in a given area is a much better area to try. The areas in a river where maybe an occasional boat passing would not be very productive. Maybe you have seen old photos of the village swimming hole where there is a tree branch over the water and the rope hanging down and has a past history. These are prime places maybe to hunt. The areas of boat docks where the boat owners have the problem of items falling off into the water is also good. Fishing and boat docks where many items are lost. I have found about a hundred fishing poles and a ton of lawn chairs, tackle boxes, tools, knives, cell phones, multi tools, trolling motors, ankers, and such. These are also the spots that some choose to throw away some items that are maybe a problem around the house like guns, safes, and other personal items. Bridges where folks have a walk way and they stop mid stream to observe the river is also a good place to look. A little research and asking maybe some of the older population some questions about river history. There are areas where there was crossings made prior to the bridges being built. I even found a couple of lost magnets. Good luck and don't give up cuz it is there you just have to find it.

battlecat

Dec 23, 2004
moosic pa
I lost mine the first time out years ago.... It got stuck and never got it back. I did see someone at the local bridge near me last week, I should have stopped and chatted

Thoadin

Greenie
Sep 1, 2018
Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thoadin, The river hunting is fine but the areas where there is a history of human activity in a given area is a much better area to try. The areas in a river where maybe an occasional boat passing would not be very productive. Maybe you have seen old photos of the village swimming hole where there is a tree branch over the water and the rope hanging down and has a past history. These are prime places maybe to hunt. The areas of boat docks where the boat owners have the problem of items falling off into the water is also good. Fishing and boat docks where many items are lost. I have found about a hundred fishing poles and a ton of lawn chairs, tackle boxes, tools, knives, cell phones, multi tools, trolling motors, ankers, and such. These are also the spots that some choose to throw away some items that are maybe a problem around the house like guns, safes, and other personal items. Bridges where folks have a walk way and they stop mid stream to observe the river is also a good place to look. A little research and asking maybe some of the older population some questions about river history. There are areas where there was crossings made prior to the bridges being built. I even found a couple of lost magnets. Good luck and don't give up cuz it is there you just have to find it.

Thanks, great advice. I may try to get a double-sided magnet, just not sure at the moment since I only recently got the single-sided one. Hopefully, I'll have some luck with it in the right spots, like you say.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread