smallfoot

Bronze Member
May 29, 2019
Flawda
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Stick it to something substantial out of the water and see if your rope holds up and if you are able to disengage.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You drop it in and thats it watch the splash.

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will tell you that a 400 lb can get stuck to a metal boat dock post and would not release. I was fortunate that I had a shovel in my truck to disengage it from the flat metal it was stuck to.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will tell you that a 400 lb can get stuck to a metal boat dock post and would not release. I was fortunate that I had a shovel in my truck to disengage it from the flat metal it was stuck to.

Ehhh ya then caught the shovel. :)

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yea but it was then up in my hands and not down in the water. Blade on the dock and foot on the magnet works every time.:wrench_orange:

I was just teasing ya.

Um I would have been glad it was a shovel I used to dislodge it... for if the shovel dropped in at least you have a way to retrieve it. heh

Of course... would suck IF...

You dropped the shovel BEFORE dislodging the magnet first. :/

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You learn very fast to have some type of a safety cord on everything (even a shovel). Those who did not have that safety is why we are now having a ball retrieving those items.

Thoadin

Greenie
Sep 1, 2018
Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
couldn't you get it stuck to a big pipe or other big object that you could not pull up. Wouldn't a 200 lb magnet be just fine for what you would want to retrieve?

This is a great question. I've thought about this, too.

insontis

Aug 27, 2013
Blue Springs, MO
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To pull up a 500 lb. safe full of 300 lb. of gold of course..

..Or a 300 lb safe full of 500 lb. of gold..

:skullflag:

Last edited:

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You must remember that a 500 lb magnet can move some very large heavy stuff while it is still in the water. We have had some items so heavy that we could not get above the water line but we managed to work them to the shore and recover that find. The water provides a degree of buoyancy that aids in reducing the weight of items while they are still under water. On boat docks and such we have long reach hooks (similar to a fish gaff) to reach down and move heavy items once they have been brought up to the surface. That 500 lb safe and gold that insontis mentioned would cause additional problems that would force most individuals to stop and maybe have to do a little clean up inside their britches before getting that treasure on the dock.:tongue3:

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had the same thought, about the pull strength, I did not want to latch onto something I could not move etc. It had been pointed out on this Forum that a lot of stuff might have rust, silt or moss on the surface which would decrease the bond between the magnet and the item itself, so I settled on a 350 or 400lb. (cant remember which) for stuff I might find around here, tackle, knives, rod & reel etc and who knows what (junk of course). I see the 800lb, 1200lb. etc, magnets, but way more than I could ever use. That 400lb mag? I tell ya, walking along a cement dock there was a large metal plate I did not notice, and BANG, that puppy was on it solid, almost did not get it off. So... as a part time hobby, I'm good with what I have.

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sprialroad, Go giter dun. Dont forget to get a plastic jar cap like a peanut butter lid and tape a large washer to the outside and stick it over the face. This will aid in saftey when handling the magnet.

Prairie Prowler

May 7, 2006
Midwest ILL
Detector(s) used
Fisher1266-/ CZ-20 / Sovereign XS/Excalibur II / Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good chat... Im buying one now and wondering if Id loose an super strong one stuck to something cant retrieve..400 lb pull too much ? I live on a river so sure ill be finding all kinds of interesting stuff! Already have found a couple kool old Oar locks/swivels w my smaller magnet..Thanx for the Tips..

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
400 should be just fine with a good strong poly rope.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread