Retention pond magnet fishing technique?

toshik

Dec 20, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What is the technique of fishing in a shallow retention pond (1-2.5 meters deep) from the shores? I have a double sided magnet and bolted the eye bolt (hook) into the side edge so the magnet moves flash to the bottom of the pond.
Nothing caught at all! I did a dry test and guess what - side edges do not magnetize even metal piece right next to it (on the picture magnet would slide by the bolt without catching it)! So magnet would only pick up something berried in the mud right under its path. However pond does not have a thick mud layer so magnet just pushes everything away from its path and gets into my hands empty. Pretty pathetic for a 2625lb double sider! What am I doing wrong and how can I increase the efficiency? Move the eye bolt into the center hole?

Attachments

• 20201220_201330.jpg
    20201220_201330.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 77
Last edited:

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are probably not doing anything wrong except fishing in an area where there are no magnetic targets. In that pond is there a swimming place or a fishing dock. These areas normally produce some finds. Good luck and enjoy your new adapted hobby.

Shortys

Oct 8, 2020
Ontario
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What is the technique of fishing in a shallow retention pond (1-2.5 meters deep) from the shores? I have a double sided magnet and bolted the eye bolt (hook) into the side edge so the magnet moves flash to the bottom of the pond.
Nothing caught at all! I did a dry test and guess what - side edges do not magnetize even metal piece right next to it (on the picture magnet would slide by the bolt without catching it)! So magnet would only pick up something berried in the mud right under its path. However pond does not have a thick mud layer so magnet just pushes everything away from its path and gets into my hands empty. Pretty pathetic for a 2625lb double sider! What am I doing wrong and how can I increase the efficiency? Move the eye bolt into the center hole?
Keep the bolt on the side. If the magnet hits stones or anything it flips over. If you are fishing off a wall in close you could change to the center but I only use the side placement. I have the same magnet. I love it. Some days I go home with just beer caps. Other days 5 bikes money nuts and bolts.
Try bridges docks canals wherever there's lots of people. Just keep throwing out as far a you can. I start throwing from left to right like pie slices. Once you've done one pie move down 10 feet start throwing again.
Oh ya bring a small crowbar with you. Sometimes I don't look where I'm fishing and get stuck on metal structure. The crowbar is the only way to get a stuck magnet off. Also get yourself a grappling hook sometimes things are to heavy or really stuck in the mud.
Good luck have fun

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions