Magnet Fishing for Old Beer Cans

Worrierking

Dec 28, 2020
Louisiana
Primary Interest:
Other
Hi everyone. I am a beer can collector in Louisiana. It's getting harder and harder to find cans in old dumps, so I am looking into trying magnet fishing. Some people in the hobby have found nice cans buried in the mud of drained lakes, so I am hoping this will be a possible way to make some finds.

I am looking at steel cans dating from the 1930s through the 1960s, primarily.

Do any of you regularly pull steel cans out when magnet fishing?

Any recommendations from the experts on techniques, locations, etc.?

Thanks in advance.

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This area here we do bring some up but the condition of those items is pretty bad. If you know where a creek that has a tendency to flood and feeds into a pond or lake, that area where it goes into the still water is a good target. I also found there is a trend to find them inside walls of old structures where the plaster developed holes years ago. This was done using my metal detector on some old cabins I once hunted. I would think you could also drop a magnet down the same holes and possibly bring up metal items. I once found a mason jar full of silver coins in a wall but it did not have a hole, I just was walking down the outside of the building and held my detector up against the old lap siding. good luck

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions