SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LOL. I think a great question. What if magnet kind of swings around and is stuck to bottom of an old iron bridge. Buy definition, is that my bridge now? That’s my magnet with that piece of rope hanging in water...

True, but infortunately, you would have to claim the value of the bridge as income on your taxes...

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have has mine stuck to a dock brace and had to get a shovel to get it loose. On small items I just slide it to the edge and get it off. Once I got stuck on a old microwave box and I used WD 40 to aid in sliding it to the edge. The fellows with the 1200 lb + magnets sometimes have real issues with getting stuck on items like old car parts under water.

Fat

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2020
Nebraska panhandle/NE Colorado
Detector(s) used
I took the battery out because I like my bacon crispy
Primary Interest:
Other
True, but infortunately, you would have to claim the value of the bridge as income on your taxes...
So I need a sign that says leave two bucks under magnet? Or maybe I should ring a bell once a month or even 25 days before Xmas? It’s just been as free will as property and tire and gas and taxes are collected,

Uncle stay away from water and electricity at the same time, until I get that cars future caretakers paperwork notarized plz.

Last edited:

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LOL. I think a great question. What if magnet kind of swings around and is stuck to bottom of an old iron bridge. Buy definition, is that my bridge now? That’s my magnet with that piece of rope hanging in water...
Yup! It's yours! The biggest problem is getting the bridge in the back of your Prius. Bummer cutting up your rope to tie the 40' dock on the back of your Vespa. Things to think about when magnet fishing.

TheHarleyMan2

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2008
Never Know I May Live Next To You!
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500/Bounty Hunter
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, I have an 880lb magnet! ?????? I haven't used it yet! I wonder if I am going to have to utilize a wrecker to pull whatever off my magnet? :icon_scratch::icon_scratch::icon_scratch::icon_scratch:

The magnet came with 550 cord attached to it and I am thinking about changing the rope to something more that I can grab onto, but the rope at Home Depot is either braided or twisted nylon, or cheap crap made in China, (looks like climbing rope but it isn't), that has me question if it's really durable!

What rope do some of you use?

augoldminer

Jan 7, 2013
high desert goldfields
Detector(s) used
gold master V-sat
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, I have an 880lb magnet! ?????? I haven't used it yet! I wonder if I am going to have to utilize a wrecker to pull whatever off my magnet? :icon_scratch::icon_scratch::icon_scratch::icon_scratch:

The magnet came with 550 cord attached to it and I am thinking about changing the rope to something more that I can grab onto, but the rope at Home Depot is either braided or twisted nylon, or cheap crap made in China, (looks like climbing rope but it isn't), that has me question if it's really durable!

What rope do some of you use?
550 cord is not what most people think it is.
only type-III MIL-C-5040 paracord is rated at 550 breaking most 550 cord is even lesser strength and most sold the hardware stores is rated at around 250lb
if you have a 880 pound magnet you need a rope rated at 1000 pounds this gives you a safety factor.
best place to buy good rope is at a boat shop.

TheHarleyMan2

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2008
Never Know I May Live Next To You!
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500/Bounty Hunter
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
550 cord is not what most people think it is.
only type-III MIL-C-5040 paracord is rated at 550 breaking most 550 cord is even lesser strength and most sold the hardware stores is rated at around 250lb
if you have a 880 pound magnet you need a rope rated at 1000 pounds this gives you a safety factor.
best place to buy good rope is at a boat shop.

Being former airborne I am very familiar with 550 cord. I bought the Brute 880lb set with case and it came with 550 cord. I don't like it because it is too small to begin with plus I know the strength of it and most likely rated lower grade than military 550 cord.

I didn't think about checking with a boat shop! I will have to go check it out. I don't know if 100ft would be too long or too short. I know depending on height from water level to water depth plays a part also.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Being former airborne I am very familiar with 550 cord. I bought the Brute 880lb set with case and it came with 550 cord. I don't like it because it is too small to begin with plus I know the strength of it and most likely rated lower grade than military 550 cord.

I didn't think about checking with a boat shop! I will have to go check it out. I don't know if 100ft would be too long or too short. I know depending on height from water level to water depth plays a part also.
Thank you for your service sir..

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fat WHEN this happened to me I went home and got my 1000 pound stuck to a bridge frame. I went home and got about 400 feet of rope. Drove my Honda cr-v to where i could Tie the ropes together and drug it off with my car

Last edited:

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LIke they said SLIDE it off do not fight the magnet pull

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread