Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Maine
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's M6 & Prizm III
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No posts at all in this forum???? Well gotta change that....:):) Looking for any Maine people who know of any detecting clubs etc in Maine...or anyone interested in forming a club, or just Maine and/or New England diggers to keep an open discussion session trading tips, sites etc.....Winter is coming and we need something to keep us busy as the frost pushes up all we are gonna find come Spring time....:) Any takers?

B

baileymacpheephd

Hi Mainedigger,

What part of Maine are you from? I am just south of Portland. I don't belong to a club but I believe there are two here in Maine. The closest to me is Augusta but I have a severe sleeping disorder so I can't drive all the way up there. It would be great to have one down here in Southern Maine. Anyway, the info for the clubs that are here is at http://www.losttreasure.com/clubs/

Lost Treasure also has a buddy list with 60 treasure hunters here in Maine. That info is at
http://www.losttreasure.com/treasurebuddies/

I try to get out for an hour or so every day, usually at a friend's farm. After Hurricaine Florence went by and took most of the sand off of ONLY ONE of the beaches close by, I have been spending a lot more time there instead. A lot of wheaties and silver in among the rocks. The oldest silver is a Spanish one reale from 1789. My main detector is a White's XLT, with an Eagle Spectrum, and a Surfmaster II Plus as my backups.

Unfortunately, none of the three is hot on gold so I am trying to decide what to buy next.

Please feel free to contact me if I can be of further help.

BaileyMacPhee

OP
OP
Mainedigger

Mainedigger

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Maine
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's M6 & Prizm III
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bailey...thanks for the reply. I live on an island in Casco Bay, just NE of Portland, so Augusta is a ways for me as well. I was hoping there was a club in the Portland area or maybe to the south of that. Been chatting with alot of hobbyists from Maine and alot from Southern Maine, so maybe soon there may be a club, or at least a group hunt or something. I use a White's Prism III, hunt mostly private yards and the like, lot of old houses here and that keeps me pretty busy. I pretty much stay away from the beaches...too much crap, old wire lobster traps and the like. I don't mind digging some junk, but can;t move an inch on the beaches here without hitting some junk.
Bill

jsn571944

Greenie
Dec 18, 2006
hello i live in hancock maine down 5 miles from ellsworth i am new to detecting i use a new m6 by whites it works nice . I am in fla rt now till march give me a hollar we can find some old cellar holes to detect in the spring i am detecting on beaches here in south fl i do not really care for it a lot of junk. alot of ships went down in this area and coins have been found. Under water detecting is off limits here and illeagal. the beaches are fair game and public so at least i have a lot of area to cover thus far i got 3 quarters and 4 pennies no old coins all newer. I HAVE A LOT OF SITES IN MIND IN MAINE. Spring will come soon and back to maine. I do not wander off here in the bush because of the snake situation here and my inexperiance around them. my email is [email protected] Iam 62 and retired so i can detect a lot .nice to meet you guys . My first name is john

OP
OP
Mainedigger

Mainedigger

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Maine
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's M6 & Prizm III
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
John...would love to get together in the Spring for some hunts....drop me a note or a PM when you get back this way....good luck on those beaches...heat wave here now and have been unexpectantly been able to get out, rare for Decmeber, but am loving it!!! Find some of those old spanish silver and gold coins while you;re down there...:):)

S

swrus

I’m new to detecting; Shapleigh Maine here, about 45 minutes South of Portland. Also have a new White M6, do not know enough yet to know if it was the best choice for the money, but it has been alot of fun so far.

bootstrap vinn

Apr 25, 2006
Central Maine
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1210x Fisher 1236x2 Fisher 1225x
Hey Maine digger, what's goin' on? Cold enough for ya here? Got out your blowtorch and snow shovel for a nice mid-winter hunt? LOL. Love Maine but hate it when it's like this.Anyway I'm here about 20 mins. north of waterville and obviously bored so I figured I'd see what the Me. boys were talking about.I'd definitly be up for getting together for a few hunts.Unless your doing private yards things in this general area have been hit pretty hard but I'm always researching so ya never know...Also I go down to sanford about every other weekend and I have a few friends that I go with down there so getting together is a definite possibility. If you decide to come up this way give me a shout,I'm only about five minutes off I-95 so I'm real easy to find.Anyway if you get a club together I'm in.I think we have one around here called dirty knees but I've never checked it out.Mainly because in the three seasons we get to detect I'm too busy detecting and I only got a computer a year ago, so I really didn't know what was out there.Well have a good one,Bootstrap

NC_Bob

Mar 9, 2007
WNC
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000
jsn571944 said:
Under water detecting is off limits here and illeagal.

John,

is that for real? Do you have a website or other source you can point me at to look into this a little more?

Lived up your way for a while (in Trenton) before I moved South. Still get back up there from time to time.

Bob.

CCsSnowy

Tenderfoot
Jul 20, 2006
Maine
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
There is a website and forum .... http://www.metaldetectingmaine.com ...

It's been up for over a year now. It's more of an online group, but there are group outings, etc.... the members seem to really enjoy meeting each other and we always seem to have a good time.

boatdriver

Feb 7, 2008
Mainedigger,
What Island in Casco Bay. I'm originally from Yarmouth ...father owned the baot yard. I've spent hours in Casco Bay. Ben

OP
OP
Mainedigger

Mainedigger

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Maine
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's M6 & Prizm III
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
boatdriver said:
Mainedigger,
What Island in Casco Bay. I'm originally from Yarmouth ...father owned the baot yard. I've spent hours in Casco Bay. Ben

Ben...Chebeague Island and which boat yard in Yarmouth? And I am assuming you are using the same user name on the Maine detecting site as well.

JME in Maine

Tenderfoot
Jan 16, 2008
Maine
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum Garretts Ace 250 Classic III SL
Hey fellow Mainiacs!!! Is it me or does this time of year really test your resolve and make you wonder why you've made your home just under the arctic circle?? Well it sure makes detecting difficult.
To answer the question above, I do know that there use to be a Metal Detecting club here about 10 years ago, But I lost interest before I could join it. I am currently pursuing this hobby/life with a vengance this year and would love to have some people to hunt with. This time around I have a wife who is very much interested in treasure hunting, (gotta love her). So anyway If anyone from Maine wants to hook up and do some detecting drop me a line, till then HH

mainebird

Feb 13, 2008
Clayton NC
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark , Tesoro Deleon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi everyone,

I have live in Sullivan Maine, also near Ellsworth. My wife and moved up here a year ago from North Carolina, my wife is originally from Winter Harbor, I am originally from Pennsylvania. I used to metal detect in NC with my best friend Jim using a Teroro Tiger shark and a Tesoro Deleon. I hope to do a lot of detecting this year and would love to get a group together. My friend Jim will be visiting in July and will be bringing his detector. John, we are practically neighbors, email me if you are interested in getting together ([email protected]).

Best luck to all in 2008

CCsSnowy

Tenderfoot
Jul 20, 2006
Maine
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Wow .. It's nice to see even more people from Maine interested in the hobby. Anyone is welcomed to join the site there. You can learn more by visiting metaldetectingmaine.com and join in the forums if you wish. Not to deter you from this site by any means ... we all know detectorists are members to many sites. Metal Detecting Maine is smaller than this with a little different programming, that's all. But we're a close-knit group. Looking forward to meeting up with some of you, including YOU, JSN, and Mainedigger, this coming season!

HH to all!

OP
OP
Mainedigger

Mainedigger

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Maine
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's M6 & Prizm III
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CCsSnowy said:
Looking forward to meeting up with some of you, including YOU, JSN, and Mainedigger, this coming season!

HH to all!

Snowy...Spring IS coming!!! (I think ???) Which means more group hunts....looking forward to them and to seeing everyone again!!!! :)

MaineTHDiver

Tenderfoot
Sep 27, 2006
Lisbon, Maine
Detector(s) used
Sea Hunter MKII
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Under water detecting is off limits here and illegal. What are you talking about? I am in need of real information about Fla metal detecting. I have a Sea Hunter Mark II and am headed for Florida in about eight months. Why is underwater metal detecting illegal? I am trying real hard here not to use any four letter words. But who is responsible for this action. Do you know? Thank-You

bootstrap vinn

Apr 25, 2006
Central Maine
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1210x Fisher 1236x2 Fisher 1225x
THDiver,I really am not sure about underwater detecting being illegal in Maine.I believe wreck diving may be illegal without the proper permits but I think you can dive and detect on any beach or inland lake without any legal issues.National parks are definitly the exception to this and state parks require permission from the ranger but can be done with permission.HH, Bootstrap :icon_pirat:

bigscrub

Jul 10, 2005
brandon,fla
Detector(s) used
minelab ex 2, wot,and joey coils, garrett deepseeker,whites 6000 di pro
hello Mainethdiver, bigscrub here in fla, and im not sure i can answer your questions about fla md ...but ask and ill try! Im planning a trip to N.H ..around july 4th to visit my daughter in the dover area...never been to n.h., but im betting there are some great coins to find! happy hunting...bigscrub

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread