Makro kruzer/multi kruzer battery wiring question

Stoof2010

Jul 12, 2016
S.E. Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's the question....

Whether by cycles, damage, or just wearing out in any way... If the internal battery in the kruzer is no longer functioning (not just needing a recharge) will the machine still be able to function with the AA battery pod? Is it wired in the middle so if it bites the dust it interrupts the circuit and the machine won't even function with the battery pod?

choppadude

Dec 23, 2012
Twin Tiers NY
Detector(s) used
XP Deus X2, CTX 3030, E Trac, T2, AT Pro, AKA Sorex, Makro Kruzer, Minelab GP3500, Nokta Impact
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just spoke to makro and they stated that even if the internal battery were to go dead or become faulty, the external battery Pod will still work as it disconnects the internal batteries circuit and replaces it with the external pack.

OP
OP
Stoof2010

Stoof2010

Jul 12, 2016
S.E. Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Asked in another forum as well.

So I know that the internal battery can also be charged in the field with a battery bank like for your cell phone. Is that done in a different connection than the pod is?
If they are the same connection method then it stands to reason that the battery is still included in the circuit when hooked up otherwise it wouldn't be able to be charged by said external battery bank (like for cell phone)
Thank you for all the info and any more anyone can offer!!

choppadude

Dec 23, 2012
Twin Tiers NY
Detector(s) used
XP Deus X2, CTX 3030, E Trac, T2, AT Pro, AKA Sorex, Makro Kruzer, Minelab GP3500, Nokta Impact
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The external battery pod plugs into the same port as you would use to charge the internal battery but as explained to me this does circumvent the internal battery when the pod is plugged in.
Case in point, when I first received my unit I assumed the internal battery would not be charged. Therefore I loaded some AA batteries into the external pod and hooked that up to the detector. Upon turning on the detector I received the "Lo" message on the screen meaning the battery was low. and the detector would do nothing but display this message. I then detached the external battery pod and turned on the detector. It fired right up and read full charge on the internal battery. It ends up that I measured the voltage of the AA batteries I had in the pack (just 4 batteries I had lying around) and come to find out that 3 of the 4 batteries were no good.
So even though the internal battery was fully charged the machine would not operate off it while the external battery pod as hooked up. It is a multi pin connector so there is the possibility that plugging in the external pod interrupts the internal battery circuit.

OP
OP
Stoof2010

Stoof2010

Jul 12, 2016
S.E. Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh ok. Cool.
Maybe the circuitry inside determines if what you're looking into it is intended to charge the device or run it... Who knows. Probably goes by amperage going in. Battery banks usually try and push 1-2 amps in which may signal to the machine it's being charged while the pod probably delivers a lower amperage more intended to run the machine.

Like I said earlier, I'm not a fan of internal cells that the end user can't replace and just need to know that if the battery fails after warranty that I don't have to pay $30 to ship it in and $50-$100 for parts and labor to fix.

I kind of wish they went the other way with it. Or maybe a removable battery like a walkie talkies and the the option to use the AA pod.

In this day and age, even with the best manufacturers, things fail. I'd prefer for the simple things like batteries be something I don't have to send in for repair.

I don't doubt the cell inside will last for years. But past 2 is where you're on your own.

Thanks for all the info!!! Beautiful looking machine and he videos look very promising machine.
The other companies better watch out!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread