Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
BS!!! I saw you find a folded real on our hunt!!!

You are correct Scrappy, however it wasn't a 2R... just a 1R. I have never found a 2R.

I was trying to make CC feel good about his machine, after I read that "CTX3030 & Deus" comment. I felt that he needed a little validation. That statement seemed like hyperbole, but I don't believe that was CC's intent.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So by your comment, it was pure luck I guess eh? I disagree, not a meaningless statement at all when I see their dig holes mere feet away from where the coin was dug, and their foot prints in the dirt right where the coin was dug. Yes of course it's always possible they simply didn't swing over that exact spot, at the exact angle I did. The point being made was that the place has been hit hard. My hunt partner and I both have detected it hard many, many times (in the same patch of ground that the coin was dug) as well as others. Sure it would've been nice to compare signals with them, if they were there when I was. AND to be clear, it wasn't a dig to the CTX (friend later told me it was actually an Etrac) or XP Dues, only stating the fact that they'd covered the same ground and did not dig the coin, simple as that.

Would you get that coin, I have no idea (that could be construed as a meaningless statement as well). It's a much different environment then cow pastures and bean fields in the U.K.
I made a special effort & watched your first video. Not something I do very often. Not keen on videos.
Anyways, you think I do 'Cow Pastures'. Not very often,less than 1% of my total hunts in my life.
Bean fields, yes, and any other ploughed land.
You honestly believe that environment was any different to many of the ancient sites that I do which includes over 2000 years worth of iron nails. You're completely wrong. I detect zero disc all the time & done much trashier sites than yours. Every swing in every direction 10 nails or more. Love listening in iron infested places, its where all the good stuff is.
Now we have straighten that up, I stand by my 'meaningless' statement.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No I don't have to go head to head with you, you'll have to try it yourself, in your own dirt, at your own sites. And I'm not trying to convince YOU or anyone else of anything, I'm simply showing how the machine operates, and how it's doing in the field. Heck I'd be thrilled to see some videos on the EQ800 like this, oh wait, there aren't any (at least not in English). So your saying your CTX, Excalibur and Etrac are great machines in heavily iron infested sites? Odd, certainly hasn't been my experience, nor that of other operators on the west coast. Dues I cannot speak for, as I don't have one. And of course there's always the element of operator experience and skill, and using the right settings.

HH,
Cal
Thats a much better statement.
The Deus has the fastest recovery time (Or reactivity) of any of the fore mentioned machines. It was designed to find 'tiny' (much smaller than your US coins, ie. about 8-13mm) silver coins in a bed of nails.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice job mods :censored:....no idea why this was moved, as it's relevant to TODAYS FINDS, but now there's two posts here of the same thing....:BangHead:

Deleted the thread that had no replies so now there is just this one thread here.:headbang:

OP
OP
Cal_Cobra

Cal_Cobra

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2008
Northern California
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800 & Makro Multi Kruzer, the rest are collecting dust...
I made a special effort & watched your first video. Not something I do very often. Not keen on videos.
Anyways, you think I do 'Cow Pastures'. Not very often,less than 1% of my total hunts in my life.
Bean fields, yes, and any other ploughed land.
You honestly believe that environment was any different to many of the ancient sites that I do which includes over 2000 years worth of iron nails. You're completely wrong. I detect zero disc all the time & done much trashier sites than yours. Every swing in every direction 10 nails or more. Love listening in iron infested places, its where all the good stuff is.
Now we have straighten that up, I stand by my 'meaningless' statement.

Nothing to straighten up, I understand the premise of the sites you guys detect over there (perhaps plowed fields would be more accurate descriptor then cow pastures) and yes, of course they have lots of iron.

What I stated was a fact "two guys hunted the exact same patch of dirt with a XP Dues and Minelab Etrac (I originally thought it was a CTX, but I stand corrected, it was an Etrac) and they both missed the coin." Make of it what you will, but it's still a fact. Why they missed it we'll never know. Your initial comment came across as snarky and degenerative, so I replied, just as you did.

Again, there was no intent to start a pissing match that any machine was better than any other, or the operator, if you took it that way, then it was misconstrued.
At any rate, nothing to get up in arms about, it's detecting, and it's supposed to be fun :occasion14:

OP
OP
Cal_Cobra

Cal_Cobra

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2008
Northern California
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I think you would have gotten a time-out for that remark if you didn't have ties to a manufacturer. :)

Comment understood, and will be reflected if I post on the Today's Finds forum again.

I don't really have ties to the company. They' simply asked if I was interested in testing a pre-production unit and report bugs, user experience, and make product improvement suggestions, which I have done so that they can make a better detector that anyone in the future wants to use will benefit from. Nobody paid me to field test the pre-production detector, and I only make youtube (maybe not again if it's this much of a headache!) videos because I want to, I enjoy making the videos and sharing my findings with people, I make not one cent. If I had a pre-production Equinox, I would do the same thing. I'd much rather watch a real hunt versus an unboxing video, or someone waving coins in front of the coil doing an air-test, or planting coins in the dirt to test depth, or even wose, salting their finds (as we saw an Impact tester do that caught a lot of flack for it when he tried to unpack it).

hh,
Cal

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
Cal_Cobra

Cal_Cobra

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2008
Northern California
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
You are correct Scrappy, however it wasn't a 2R... just a 1R. I have never found a 2R.

I was trying to make CC feel good about his machine, after I read that "CTX3030 & Deus" comment. I felt that he needed a little validation. That statement seemed like hyperbole, but I don't believe that was CC's intent.

No it wasn't the intent at all, just was excited that many others had been through the same little patch of earth and for whatever reason I was able to dig a keeper that they did not.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nothing to straighten up, I understand the premise of the sites you guys detect over there (perhaps plowed fields would be more accurate descriptor then cow pastures) and yes, of course they have lots of iron.

What I stated was a fact "two guys hunted the exact same patch of dirt with a XP Dues and Minelab Etrac (I originally thought it was a CTX, but I stand corrected, it was an Etrac) and they both missed the coin." Make of it what you will, but it's still a fact. Why they missed it we'll never know. Your initial comment came across as snarky and degenerative, so I replied, just as you did.

Again, there was no intent to start a pissing match that any machine was better than any other, or the operator, if you took it that way, then it was misconstrued.
At any rate, nothing to get up in arms about, it's detecting, and it's supposed to be fun :occasion14:
I never get involved in arguments about my machine is better than yours. Unless its similar to my find is this & its really that. Facts is all I care about, & you missed the mark by a long way. There is no better machine in iron with the right operator than the Deus. So buy one & blog about that, if you will, but don't try & make out that the machine that might sponsor you is any better.

Last edited:

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I never get involved in arguments about my machine is better than yours. Unless its similar to my find is this & its really that. Facts is all I care about, & you missed the mark by a long way. There is no better machine in iron with the right operator than the Deus. So buy one & blog about that, if you will, but don't try & make out that the machine that might sponsor you is any better.

I agree and always smile when they say a site is hunted out. Unless it is a sand box some guy with an x brand will hit a target that everyone else missed. Did that machine find it or did they not swing over it. There is a side beside comparison though and we often will listen to another machines targets. The only way to really tell if you are missing things.

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
I agree and always smile when they say a site is hunted out. Unless it is a sand box some guy with an x brand will hit a target that everyone else missed. Did that machine find it or did they not swing over it. There is a side beside comparison though and we often will listen to another machines targets. The only way to really tell if you are missing things.

When I hear hunted out, I think of it as a challenge and sport. My bread and butter is hunting well-hit sites - both my own and others[emoji114]

OP
OP
Cal_Cobra

Cal_Cobra

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2008
Northern California
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used

I don't make any claims about the Dues because I've never used one, but if you've never used the Multi Kruzer, how can you say with authority that the Dues is a better detector? That's not a fact, it's an opinion.

And what mark did I miss? I stand by my statement that the Minelab and XP machine did not bring home the coin for the hunters that detected the site, even though I saw their footprints and (uncovered, shame on them) dig holes right next to the coin dug, so why didn't they dig it?

Nobody is trying to make out anything, and believe me, I don't make one red cent from any of this (nor do I need to, I have a great engineering job in Silicon Valley), as a matter of fact, I spent a lot of gas $$$, and hotel expense $$$ on my own dime traveling to these sites to try out the new machine.

Sorry I don't understand the condescending comments when someones simply trying to share their user experience of a new machine so that others may benefit.

OP
OP
Cal_Cobra

Cal_Cobra

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2008
Northern California
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used

Sure you can flag targets and do side, by side comparisons. The problem with that strategy though, is if you flag a target for me to check (or vice versa) how do you know I would've stopped to check it in the first place? In other words, sure now that you flagged it, I'm subconsciously going to do my darnedest to hear it, even it it's an ultra deep target that I only get a click of an audio response from. See I heard it something, so my detector must be good as now we both heard it, but in the real world, I likely wouldn't dig it.

Of course we do compare/check signals, it's always good to know your dialed into the site your detecting, or if you're hunt partner's hearing something your not, determine why.

OP
OP
Cal_Cobra

Cal_Cobra

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2008
Northern California
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
When I hear hunted out, I think of it as a challenge and sport. My bread and butter is hunting well-hit sites - both my own and others[emoji114]

Can't argue with that, these old sites don't exactly replenish themselves, and the truth of the matter is that 95% of them out here have been worked hard, there's a lot of competition.

In my experience sometimes it simply takes a new detector that's doing something different then the detectors that previously covered the same patch of ground, and looking at things in a different manor sometimes reveals targets that other detectors simply did not find in the past.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looking at your video, in my language its neither hunted out or pounded. It's not even close to pounded by the right thinkers, because if I were there there would be NO IRON signals at all. When we give up on a Roman Site the last (10 years+) things we are digging are pieces of lead the size of rice & iron hob-nails. When all the iron nails are gone, then I would call it pounded & not before.
You should at least consider removing some of the larger iron each visit, & every visit after that removing more of the smaller pieces & so on. This is why target recovery is our greatest weapon - beep-pouch 30 seconds move on(no waving of the carrot, I've got it in my pouch before most are on their knees). This is a methodology on a good site that should be followed whatever machine you use.

kajunoutlaw

Jun 3, 2014
Texas
Detector(s) used
Ace 350 / F75 LTD2/ AT MAX/ Multi Kruzer/ Nox 800

Have used many detectors.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cal have you used the Multi Kruzer in 20 kHz ? If so does it have an advantage ? I've watched your videos and some of the foreign videos on the beach. The M Kruzer looks to be a very good detector. Also have you tried 3 tone (which is supposed to be the fastest setting) in iron ? Thanks for your time.

OP
OP
Cal_Cobra

Cal_Cobra

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2008
Northern California
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Looking at your video, in my language its neither hunted out or pounded. It's not even close to pounded by the right thinkers, because if I were there there would be NO IRON signals at all. When we give up on a Roman Site the last (10 years+) things we are digging are pieces of lead the size of rice & iron hob-nails. When all the iron nails are gone, then I would call it pounded & not before.
You should at least consider removing some of the larger iron each visit, & every visit after that removing more of the smaller pieces & so on. This is why target recovery is our greatest weapon - beep-pouch 30 seconds move on(no waving of the carrot, I've got it in my pouch before most are on their knees). This is a methodology on a good site that should be followed whatever machine you use.

I think out here we have a tendency to try to dig everything, except iron. I'ill try your suggestion, because there's a couple of small areas that've been very productive at that site, and it would be interesting if it was strip mined to see if it's hiding anything. Although this site has been a bit stingy with coins, I do feel this site has high potential to be holding a gold coin, so it would be worth it, and I'm sure that there are masked targets due to the iron.

OP
OP
Cal_Cobra

Cal_Cobra

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2008
Northern California
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Cal have you used the Multi Kruzer in 20 kHz ? If so does it have an advantage ? I've watched your videos and some of the foreign videos on the beach. The M Kruzer looks to be a very good detector. Also have you tried 3 tone (which is supposed to be the fastest setting) in iron ? Thanks for your time.

For hunting in iron the 19kHz is the way to go on the MK.

I've detected quite a lot in the 3-TONE mode. They did something interesting on the Multi Kruzer in 3-TONE mode, up until a GAIN setting of 89 it has an ultra fast recovery speed, great for hunting in iron right? BUT the 4-TONE, IMO, has a better audio language in iron. I hunted almost exclusively in 3-TONE on my Impact, and the Racers and did well with it, and didn't care for the Impact's 4-TONE as I found the artificial and harsh digital audio to be pretty unpleasant while detecting, but I enjoy it on the Kruzer, they did a great job reworking it, and the 4-TONE search mode is hotter then the 3-TONE. These machines are fast anyhow, and they actually took a different approach to signal analysis then the was that most VLF detectors do it. Almost all VLF detectors use the snap shot approach, this is why recovery speed is critical. The Makro approach is actually a real time signal analysis, and that's why they have bleedy/blendy audio nuances. HH, Cal

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other

Agreed, the iron needs to come out. I just spent two hours this morning clearing thorns and removing iron from a site that’s been very very good to me. All I had to show was about 5 lbs of iron shards and nails. Some would say that’s a bad day, I just say it wasn’t a good day but it’s helping lead to one.

OP
OP
Cal_Cobra

Cal_Cobra

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2008
Northern California
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Agreed, the iron needs to come out. I just spent two hours this morning clearing thorns and removing iron from a site that’s been very very good to me. All I had to show was about 5 lbs of iron shards and nails. Some would say that’s a bad day, I just say it wasn’t a good day but it’s helping lead to one.

Scrappy and CRUSADER, when you strip out all the iron, what's been your return?

My challenge for these remote sites, is the significant amount of travel time to reach the site, so for me it's been a time vs value proposition regarding iron removal.

Timecop67

May 22, 2017
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP Orx, Teknetics 8500, Treasure Baron with Gold Module
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cal how accurate is the pinpointing on the Makro Kruzer Multi? VCO or does it allow detuning to narrow the field? I like what I see in regards to detecting in heavy iron. Debating whether I should get a Kruzer or wait for the next line of Fisher machines. Fisher seems to support their line of detectors longer with longer warranty at 5 years.......but may not match the abilities of this Makro.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread