Back to the beach for a new round with some new settings

sws33

Mar 15, 2013
huntington beach ca
Detector(s) used
white's 5900 di pro, Fisher CZ20, Fisher 1280, Garrett Infinium LS, Teknetics T2 SE and Teknetics Omega 8000, Makro Multi Kruzer, Garrett Sea Hunter Mark II and Fisher CZ21, White's TDI Beach Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know, I know, I said I already gave my final Beach review but...
After playing around with the Kruzer last night and the settings for Beach mode I think I may have found the setup I need to be able to use it on these Southern California beaches. I don't know if any of you would have any luck with these numbers or not but I will list them here.
Gain = 70
Disc = 15
Notch = 16
Fe vol = n2
Tone break = Fe 15
Tone = Fe 15 / gold non-fe 65
iSat = 01
GB = 00
Freq = 14
For some reason this setup allowed me to go from breaking waves to wet sand with minimal falsing. I also made sure to wrap the coil cable probably a little tighter then I think it should be. To the point that there is no more room to lower the toe of the coil if I want to. I just wanted to make sure my t's are crossed and my i's are dotted. when I first hit the beach with these settings I walked right down to the wet sand just above the waterline and dropped a nickel on to the sand. Initially I was really bummed as I could barely pick the nickel up unless the coil was between 2 and 3 in over the nickel. I figured this was no different than an air test and probably worse since I was doing it over highly conductive black sand so I decided to bury the nickel. The nickel was easily 7 to 8 in deep when I backfilled. Immediately after backfilling a wave came in and soaked the search area thoroughly. It may have even driven the nickel deeper. I started with my normal sweep speed about 5 feet away from the Target and began sweeping the coil across the wet sand and the water as it rolled in until I got where the nickel was but could barely pick it up. I tend to swing pretty quickly and decided I will go back over it with a reduced swing speed and found that I was able to hit the nickel quite easily just by slowing my swing speed down. It seemed the slower I swung the coil the better I could pick up the target. so I tried it again with my regular swing speed and totally missed the nickel, slow down again and hit it repeatable every time without doubt that I was over a good Target. Now don't get me wrong, the machine did still false over the more heavy concentrations of black sand. but I can live with that because the signal is never repeatable and it's always way up at 95, 96 or 97. honestly I was just happy that I could put the coil in the water over the top of the sand and actually swing it without a Non-Stop machine gun like response. and I'm not sure I will ever get over the fact that the machine will still give a good signal over a hole that has water in it, even if the Target is out. the only workaround for this that I could find was to take one scoop of sand, set it off to the side and scan it, if the target wasn't there go back to the hole and take another scoop and repeat. I've had other detectors at the beach that would have faults over divots in wet sand but not like this machine, you would swear you are over a good Target it sounds that good. And worse it is repeatable both directions which is where the other machines I've had would typically not be repeatable both directions. if anybody has any hints on how to keep the falsing to a minimum over a divot with water I would absolutely appreciate it. Regardless, I'm quite a bit happier than I was and look forward to going back when the tide is low so I can work a few cuts and see if I can get lucky. I spent a couple hours messing around up in the dry sand and down into the wet and into the water. I played a little bit with the three tone and four tone both of which seem to work okay in the dry sand. I hadn't planned on even being there that long as I knew the tide was going to be high when I got there, but I was curious about the settings I decided to try and am happy I did. Honestly I couldn't tell you if it's in the settings or the fact that I have the cable wire so dang tight, either way it's working much better. There was virtually no way to work in the water in the high tide although the Surfers were having lots of fun. So I got my testing in and headed up to the dry sand, but got tired of that when I found two smashed beer bottles about 3 in deep in the sand. I scooped up as much of the glass as I could get and took it to the garbage wondering the whole way what would possess somebody to think it was a good idea to smash beer bottles in the sand where a bunch of kids are going to be the next day. Sorry, but people suck. Hopefully I saved somebody some stitches.

Charles (Sabre)(Tx)

Mar 19, 2008
Cuero, Texas
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Fors CoRe, Minelab Excaliber II & Explorer XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the numbers! I am going to give them a try when I go water hunting in the saltwater this weekend. Hopefully it will net me some bling!

BTW...good job on cleaning out the broken glass. Some folks just do things without thinking as long as they can have a good time. Glass containers are prohibited at our Texas beaches but there are some who just don't care. Sorry SOB's...:angry4:

Charles

OP
OP
sws33

sws33

Mar 15, 2013
huntington beach ca
Detector(s) used
white's 5900 di pro, Fisher CZ20, Fisher 1280, Garrett Infinium LS, Teknetics T2 SE and Teknetics Omega 8000, Makro Multi Kruzer, Garrett Sea Hunter Mark II and Fisher CZ21, White's TDI Beach Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good luck on your hunt this weekend, let me know if these numbers work for you and don't forget to wrap your cable tight. As far as the glass goes, it is also prohibited on our beach as well as alcohol, that didn't seem to stop them either way.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions