NON-Makro/Nokta coils review?

Bottlecapbill

Feb 4, 2014
Sault St. Marie , Ontario Canada
Detector(s) used
AT PRO International, Blisstool V3, Makro Multi Kruzer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I've noiced that my MMK is very chatty, no surprise there. Sometimes it's just too chatty to even use in certain locations. Now....what I have noticed is that when I submerge the coil in the water while water hunting it's quiet as a ghost! This leads me to believe the Makro coils themselves are probably the reason the machines are so chatty. Being particularly vulnerable to EMI.

Has anyone tried any other brand of coils on their Makro machines in hopes of finding something a little more stable? While Makro does provide a pretty awesome line of coils I suspect they all have the same issue.

Dr. Witty

Jan 8, 2015
Upstate NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Makro Racer 2 and Makro Kruzer
Garrett Carrot pro-pointer AT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I run my MMK in 3 tone 89 gain. 4 tone is just too noisy. I turn iron audio down to 0 as well.

OP
OP
B

Bottlecapbill

Feb 4, 2014
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've done that as well but in some areas it's still not enough. Even turning on my pinpointer makes the machine crazy loud. I have the fisher f-pulse which is a PI pinpointer. Works great.......the machine hates it though lol.

Iffy Signals

Sep 17, 2018
Rhode Island
Detector(s) used
Current-Deus & Equinox 800. Past - CTX, F75, AT Pro/Max, F44, Patriot.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've done that as well but in some areas it's still not enough. Even turning on my pinpointer makes the machine crazy loud. I have the fisher f-pulse which is a PI pinpointer. Works great.......the machine hates it though lol.

Fisher F Pulse does not like many machines. It is a great deep PP but drives detectors nuts. One way to help is if you have noise cancel turn on the PP and run a noise cancel on your machine. Works with the CTX and Nox.

sataro

Jan 16, 2013
Corsicana, Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 | Nokta Simplex+ | Tesoro Mohave | Quest Xpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I run my mmk in 3 tone. I don’t have the chatty issue you are talking about. Mine seems pretty stable with standard coil. My wife bought me the 5” coil for Christmas. It also seems stable. May be mild soil here in Central Texas.

OP
OP
B

Bottlecapbill

Feb 4, 2014
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
3 tone is a lot more stable and even I can run the gain up pretty high with it in most areas(not all), it also doesn't react as crazy to my fisher f-pulse BUT...........4 tone is king when you want to find the small gold and jewelry. It's very sparky though!

I think it's less about the ground and more about the EMI. If I take my MMK into the water(fresh), once the coil is submerged all the EMI vanishes and it runs silent but deadly. Lift the coil out of the water and it sparks up again. Even just holding it in the air at some locations it will go nuts, without coming near the ground.

Try running in 4 tone mode near some power lines and see what happens. It could just be you're not spending a lot of time near high EMI sources. Or you're running a dic setting that's higher than the general EMI rings in.

Yard Waste

Dec 16, 2013
Ontario
Detector(s) used
Makro Multi Kruzer, Garrett AT Pro International, Garrett Euro Ace.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Try shifting the frequency! Different from changing the frequency.
Manual page 22 "Shifting the Frequency in the multi Kruzer:..... it is used to eliminate the electromagnetic interference that the device receives from another detector which operates in the same frequency range nearby or from the surroundings.
To shift the frequency, first select FREQ. from OPTIONS and then press SELECT once.
Frequency shift consists of 5 steps. Default setting is F3 which is the central frequency. You can shift the frequency between F1-F5 using the plus (+) and the minus (-) buttons."
I dropped my down one from the factory (from F3-F2) settings and it made a world of difference and 3 tone, 90 gain. I couldn't even go in my yard to do some bench testing because of the 'chatty' noise and interference. This made a world of difference.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

Bottlecapbill

Feb 4, 2014
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes I've done that as well and it does help to a degree but I usually forget about that option since it's not apparent on the menus at a glance. I should probably try to remember to use it at every site for best operation at least. Every bit helps. I often switch over to another mode since some of them tend to run quieter than others. 3 tone obviously but I've had good luck in 2 tone as well for whatever reason. In the water I have no problems and I can crank that sucker up to 99 gain in any mode no problem. I love it in the water.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread