Where is the "Multi"?

Jacza

Apr 14, 2016
Detector(s) used
Makro Multi Kruzer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello,

I've made an air test with the Multi Kruzer with the different frequencies and I can see really no differences. Small medieval silver coin was above 20 cm and pocket watch above 40 cm with 5, 14 and 19 kHz. The only difference is 14 kHz has the most stability, the others are more chatty. So "Multi Frequencies" do not really exist for me.

Best regards
Jacza

Dr. Witty

Jan 8, 2015
Upstate NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Makro Racer 2 and Makro Kruzer
Garrett Carrot pro-pointer AT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've really not seen any difference with the other frequencies either, except maybe 5khz runs the battery out quicker. I've mostly stayed at 19 KHZ for what they say finds small jewelry, but I've not seen where that is true, I mean how would you know?

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is still single freq, you just have 3 different freqs to pick from, true multifreq runs multiple frequencies at the same time.

Dr. Witty

Jan 8, 2015
Upstate NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
We understand that Treasure_Hunter, We're just wondering if anyone has seen any differences between the 3 separate frequency settings.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On a side note, when I was running the Equinox 800 I didn't really seem to get anything deeper than with a single frequency machine. I've been told repeatedly the high frequencies (singles) I use should not be getting me what I'm finding, but when I get out I'm hammering the stuff out of the ground, so I wonder how valuable frequency really is. I really can't do the math on the electronics in all fairness, but as vferrari says, it doesn't matter because its working for me.

If frequency or multi frequency was what mattered most, we would all be using one machine or another, but it seems irrelevant for what I'm doing.

Bottlecapbill

Feb 4, 2014
Sault St. Marie , Ontario Canada
Detector(s) used
AT PRO International, Blisstool V3, Makro Multi Kruzer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
frequencies

I always hunt a new site in 14khz because I don't know what's in the ground. I find it's the best over all frequency for high target volume identification purposes.

However......if you want the most coins low frequency is the way to go. Here is what I've noticed. The TDI on higher conductors(copper, silver, iron) seems to be amplified and more stable with low frequency. This means deep or high conductive targets tend to ring in a little better than they do in 14khz. It's not that you won't hit them and get a response in any other frequency, but you may pass them by because they're skethy sounding or read lower on the TDI in other frequencies.

I've also found that for whatever reason, coins unmask in the iron better at 5khz than at 14khz. Which makes no sense because iron also sounds better in 5khz lol. For whatever reason , those masked coins just pop a little better for me and I know I need to dig. I suspect it's because machines tend to misidentify masked targets as a single TDI when multiple targets may be under the coil. So normally a high TDI coin mixed with a low TDI nail will still average out to a sketchy or lower TDI average than you would expect for a coin. You pass on it. The lower frequency amplifies the nail and the coin, so the average ends up being higher over all.......causing you to dig. I'll admit my theory could be totally wrong but even my single iron targets tend to ring in a lot higher so maybe I'm onto something. I can't argue with results. This entire season I've only been hunting sites that I previously stopped going to because nothing was coming up. I found a LOT of missed coins, most of them really deep but not all. IT's working fantastic for me. I should mention that it doesn't happen at every site......some are still clean. So I don't fully know what's going on, all I know is I've made some amazing finds on land I'd given up on.

I've tried to hunt a few of the same spots in 19khz but the sheer number of small targets high frequency locks onto was too discouraging. Tiny tiny bits of foil, aluminum and fine wire were killing me. I'd have to butcher the grass to dig everything. I'm sure there's some small jewelry in the mix but it just isn't practical for my busy soil. 14khz will find the gold worth finding so I'll stick with that for jewelry hunting. Sometimes you have to pick the battle you can win. :)

Last edited:

Bottlecapbill

Feb 4, 2014
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
frequencies

I always hunt a new site in 14khz because I don't know what's in the ground. I find it's the best over all frequency for identification purposes.

However......if you want the most coins low frequency is the way to go. Here is what I've noticed. The TDI on higher conductors(copper, silver, iron) seems to be amplified and more stable with low frequency. This means deep or high conductive targets tend to ring in a little better than they do in 14khz depth. It's not that you won't hit them and get a response in any other frequency, but you may pass them by because they're skethy sounding or read lower on the TDI in other frequencies.

I've also found that for whatever reason, coins unmask in the iron better at 5khz than at 14khz. Which makes no sense because iron also sounds better in 5khz lol. For whatever reason , those masked coins just pop a little better for me and I know I need to dig. I suspect it's because machines tend to misidentify masked targets as a single TDI when multiple targets may be under the coil. So normally a high TDI coin mixed with a low TDI nail will still average out to a sketchy or lower TDI average than you would expect for a coin. You pass on it. The lower frequency amplifies the nail and the coin, so the average ends up being higher over all.......causing you to dig. I'll admit my theory could be totally wrong but even my single iron targets tend to ring in a lot higher so maybe I'm onto something. I can't argue with results. This entire season I've only been hunting sites that I previously stopped going to because nothing was coming up. I found a LOT of missed coins, most of them really deep but not all. IT's working fantastic for me. I should mention that it doesn't happen at every site......some are still clean. So I don't fully know what's going on, all I know is I've made some amazing finds on land I'd given up on.

I've tried to hunt a few of the same spots in 19khz but the sheer number of small targets high frequency locks onto was too discouraging. Tiny tiny bits of foil, aluminum and fine wire were killing me. I'd have to butcher the grass to dig everything. I'm sure there's some small jewelry in the mix but it just isn't practical for my busy soil. 14khz will find the gold worth finding so I'll stick with that for jewelry hunting. Sometimes you have to pick the battle you can win. :)

Dr. Witty

Jan 8, 2015
Upstate NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks BCB, this is very encouraging news. Looks like I'll be hitting my old spots again in 5 khz now. Thanks for that lesson. :)

Bottlecapbill

Feb 4, 2014
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm no sure where the double post came from but let me know how it works out for you. I'm finding copper coins ringing in at various ranges due to size and composition. Like 65-95 range. Silver from 75 to 95. Usually anything over 95 is iron OR a modern steel core Canadian dime.

I also have my ID depth set to maximum all the time and I never use ground tracking just so you know. 4 tone always.

Last edited:

Dr. Witty

Jan 8, 2015
Upstate NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've got my Kruzer loaned out to a guy while he's waiting for his Simplex+ to arrive, so right now I'm using my Racer 2 and loving it. Once I get the Kruzer back I'll try it, but there may be snow on the ground when I do.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions