Info on Stamps and...

CRASH!

Tenderfoot
Aug 25, 2005
High Desert California
Hey all,

Long story short I have a box of old things from the 1860's-1900. Mostly papers, letters, a few school papers and local newspapers... There are some really interesting things that I'll go into in another post.

The question I have now is i have a few dozen letters ranging in the 1890s (the ones that have dates) complete with stamp, envelope and the letter inside.

Anyone know of prices for .02-.03 stamps from the 1890's?

I also found:

a booklet titled "Wild Flowers of Mount McGregor" on the back it reads "General Grants Summer Home - 1885" and it's filled with dried flowers

A Centennial hand book for Davis Sewing Machine Co 1776-1876

A program for the Unveiling and dedication of the Soldiers Monument at Waterbury Conn. 1884

and what I think is the coolest: A Program for an evening at Irving Hall with proceeds going towards "In aid of the Pedestal fund" for the Statue of Liberty dated 1885

ok perhaps even cooler than that is the letter from the "War Department" It is an Honorable Discharge letter dated 1879 and hand signed by the Assistant Adjutant General.

Plus there are tons of other letters, pictures, books and booklets. and a scrap book filled with period artwork. Inside the scrap book (A Mark Twain's scrap book) is a drawn picture of Abraham Lincoln before his beard with a printed copy of his signature underneath.

(I can take some pic's or scan in this stuff if needed)

Ok so if anyone has any info on some of these items it would be greatly appreciated.

Ride'on,

~CRASH!~

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pics Would Definately Help CRASH.

I personally Am Not Up on Ephemera,

But Those Who are Would Be MOST INTRESTED in Seeing in order to Help.

& I'm Intrested in Seeing Just Because I love Seeing Antiques of ALL Kinds.

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other
Crash,

stamps from that period can have no real value, or be really expensive.. Go to you local library and look in the "Scott" book, almost all libraries have them this will give you an idea. Also note that often times the letters with old postmarks can make a common stamp for the period worth much more.

have a good un...........
SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

OP
OP
C

CRASH!

Tenderfoot
Aug 25, 2005
High Desert California
I took some pics of a few of the items. since i have different types of relics, I may post them in the correct forums for more info.

Stamps:

stamps.jpg

these are all still complete letters of correspondence (Stamp, envelope, letter inside) some are dated, some are not. I also remember seeing some "Tiffany & Co." embossed envelope and paper.

This photo of beardless Abe is inside the "Mark Twain's" Scrap book:

abe.jpg

This is on the previous page, anyone know whom he is?

Who.jpg

This is the Honorable discharge letter from 1879. (Oct. 31st)

war.jpg

This is the "Aid the pedestal fund" program.

statue.jpg

(Which I found out is dated several months before the statue arrived in New York)

The "Wildflowers of Mount McGregor" (General Grants summer home)

mcgregor.jpg

The item is dated 1885 and Grant died at Mount McGregor on July 23rd that same year.

I'll have to do more research on these items, but any info would be greatly appreciated.

Ride'on,

~CRASH!~

JakePhelps

Silver Member
Jul 7, 2005
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
Most of the stamps are worth around 1 to 6 dollars according to the 2003 us stamp guide....dont know if they go up or down from year to year. But some could be worth alot so i would look in a book at your library.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread