Handwritten 41 pages 1870-1871 French

krissi73

Tenderfoot
Apr 14, 2009
Southwest Virginia
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My grandfather passed away in 1993 and this was in some of this things that no one wanted to keep so they came home with me. He probably picked it up at a garage sale in Northern VA or MD. It is written in French i think, so i cannot read it. I don't need a full translation, I just need to know who, what, and where? There are 41 pages total and looked like it had a cover at one time but I have no idea what became of it. I am posting photos of what it looks like and a scan of the first and last page. Hope someone can help.

Krissi

DSCI0015.jpg
DSCI0016.jpg
1.jpg
41.jpg

eddiecurrent

Dec 25, 2015
Treasure coast Fl.
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1236-x2, fisher cz3d and cz 20, tesoro golden sabre II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's either a series of battle commu ications or a war diary, by a French officer, giving dates, battle movements, troop deployments and progress notes as the French opened hostilities in the 1870-1871 Franco-Prussian war. It refers to Saarbrucken, a city on the French-German border, which was the first attack by the French, it is a mideivel city with key railroads and bridges, the name means brigdes, the French were thrown back by the superior forces of the Germans and driven back to Paris. The French lost, and the Prussian king used the victory to unite Germany into the country we know today.
I didn't read closely, it's probably very interesting to military historians, someone writing a book about that war would probably find a lot of useful details.

joee5

Dec 16, 2015
Central New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excaliber II
Whites XLT
Garrett PP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
May lead to a nice stash somewhere deep in the woods. ;)

eddiecurrent

Dec 25, 2015
Treasure coast Fl.
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1236-x2, fisher cz3d and cz 20, tesoro golden sabre II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe not gold or art, but definately some encampments and skirmish or battlefields. That was a pivotal war in Europe, it marked the end of the empire of France carved out by the little corporal, and the birth of Germany from little nation-states...Europeans might find the artifacts as compelling as we do civil war relics.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread