Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

us
    Mar 2009
    Ennis, Montana
    Garret Ace 250
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

preserving newspapers

Hello everyone. I was just wondering what is the best way to preserve old newspapers. I have a nice little collection of Detroit newspapers from past events that have been saved by my family and I just wanted your take on keeping them safe. thanks!

Miss

Sep 2006
    california
    5 times

Re: preserving newspapers

some suggestions try asking local museums for tips - they are professionals at this sort of thing after all.
    other ideas.
    store in a dark, dry place, in a metal box to keep away from rats, inside archival acid free plastic envelopes, between heavier flat sheets of styrofoam or cardboard that are larger in size than the newspaper - to keep the paper flat and protect the edges

us
    Aug 2005
    Illinois
    2 times

I store mine in large flat totes. The kinds that will slide under your bed. I place acid free paper between them and continue to stack them. I then tape a listing on top of the totes lid so I know what is in there. Hope that helps a little.
    MXT,  and just dumb luck.

us
    Mar 2009
    Ennis, Montana
    Garret Ace 250
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

I knew somebody would reply if I waited patiently for long enough. lol. Thanks for the replies. Considering these are not being stored properly right now I think it is time to preserve them correctly. Thanks again.

us
    Jun 2006
    Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
    WHITES, MINELAB
    72 times

Another quick hint. Check with a comic book store. The one by me got me bags that fit Life magazines at a good price from their vendor. You can get the cardboard inserts also. I'm sure they can find you bags sized to newspapers.
    I know it's here, just need a bigger coil!

Sponsors