Lincoln Broadside

0121stockpicker

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2012
MA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I purchased at a local auction last night. Hopefully attachment works and is clear. Sizable broadside that survived in extremely good condition. Prob have it framed/matted and hang on the wall.

Washington. July 7, 1864. Commonwealth of Massachusetts edition of Abraham Lincoln’s Proclamation For a Day of Humiliation and Prayer. The proclamation reads, in part: “… That the President of the United States be requested to appoint a day for humiliation … all magistrates, all civil, military, and naval officers, all soldiers, sailors, and marines, with all loyal and law-abiding people, to convene at their usual places of worship, or wherever they may be, to confess and to repent of their manifold sins; to implore the compassion and forgiveness of the Almighty, that, if consistent with His will, the existing rebellion may be speedily suppressed and the supremacy of the Constitution and laws of the United States may be established throughout all the States; to implore Him, as the Supreme Ruler of the World, not to destroy us as a people, nor suffer us to be destroyed by the hostility or connivance of other nations or by obstinate adhesion to our own counsel … humbly believing that it is in accordance with His will that our place should be maintained as a united people among the family of nations; to implore Him to grant to our armed defenders and the masses of the people that courage, power of resistance, and endurance necessary to secure that result; to implore Him in His infinite goodness to soften the hearts, enlighten the minds. and quicken the consciences of those in rebellion, that they may lay down their arms and speedily return to their allegiance to the United States, that they may not be utterly destroyed, that the effusion of blood may be stayed, and that unity and fraternity may be restored and peace established throughout all our borders … ”

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    59.3 KB · Views: 196
OP
OP
0121stockpicker

0121stockpicker

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2012
MA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sure bought it at a local auction for 750. So after tax and buyers premium it was about 925. Sold it a week later to a dealer in New Hampshire for 2800. So a nice little profit. Always a good market for Lincoln / civil war stuff.

Before the auction I had found 2 different listing at 2 diff dealers. 1 for 4500 and 1 for 5000 so I was going to pay up to 1000 for it.

Once I bought it I emailed about a dozen rare book / ephemera dealers across the country. Got back offers as low as 500 and as high as the 2800 that I took. It was an interesting experience.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread