My HUGE collection of antique/vintage sheet music

What is the best way to sell Sheet music?

• Ebay

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Forums (Such as treasurenet.com)

• Pawn Shops

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Other (if so, please list under the thread)

• Total voters

Shoop

May 19, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello treasurenet!

I have recently come upon a very large collection (1200+) of antique/vintage sheet music. The collection dates from the late 1800's-mid 1900's. I have sorted through each piece individually, grouping them into poor, fair, good, mint.

As stated above there are 1200+ sheets of music. Within this collection there are many "pretty girl," "transportation," "war," "famous artists," and "ebony culture" pieces.

I am extremely naïve to the current market prices of sheet music, and even more naïve as how to begin selling it. I have done a lot of research on sheet music, but it seems as though there isn't a plethora of information out there. Perhaps I am looking in the wrong places, perhaps not.

Some of the more 'stand-out' pieces (mind you, I have almost no knowledge of the rarity of the pieces) are The Beatles, Bob Hope, Rita Hayworth, General McArthur, multiple WW1 and WW2 pieces, and MUCH MUCH more.

I wish to sell as much of the music as I possibly can, and was hoping that this community could help me on my journey. I have frequented the website on many occasions, though, I just made an official account today.

Best Regards!

Jered

NellsCollect

Jul 27, 2016
New England
Primary Interest:
Other
If I were you (and I am not), I would list the more well known songs/musicians on Ebay. More obscure, though not necessarily less value, items I'd list later. Anything still hanging around, maybe you could sell to an actual sheet music dealer. After that, donate to a known collection?

I'd also look into possible price guides before making any move.

My 2-cents!

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Before you sell anything, best course of action is too look up your exact item and see if it is selling, and if so, for how much. Ebay is a good place to start.

paulb104

Feb 7, 2017
Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jered, where are you located? Maybe there's a qualified auction house nearby that could appraise the collection.

The thing about selling individual items from a collection is that you might get good money for all the good pieces, but then you're left with crap. If you want to go this route then the thing to do is to figure out which are the good pieces and bundle them with the 'regular' stuff, forcing your buyers do deal with the crap, not you. Out here we call these box lots.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions