Need help authenticating this Lincoln Assassination newspaper..

UnknownTreasures

Apr 23, 2013
Midwest
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I might have come across an amazing find!! For less than $20, I got this at an auction. It was being sold as a 'picture frame lot'. It seems to be a framed newspaper of Abraham Lincoln's assassination. I'm really excited that I might have found a historical document, but I have no money to get it authenticated. Plus I live in northern Indiana, so I doubt it would be easy to even find someone that could do it.

That's where you guys come in! The only test I was really able to do here, was the black-light (UV) test. As you can probably tell from the picture, it's definitely not new paper. Is there anyone out there that can help me authenticate this?

Ylpj7rG.jpg
More high resolution images and closeups on Imgur: Lincoln Assasination Newspaper I found - Imgur

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't get too excited, paper is in poor condition. Nice for your personal collection though.

Back then rag paper was used which held up longer than wood pulp paper.

I use to deal in antique newspapers in the mid 90's to 2000, Harpers Weekly and Leslie Weekly mostly, sold a lot of them too.

I had the deaths of Thomas Jefferson and Ben Franklin as cover stories on Harper weekly. Sold and would give twice what I sold them for to have back now....

I still have some, have sinking of Titanic and a lot on the west in mid 1800's as well as some civil war...

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

brhalltx

Dec 3, 2013
Dallas, TX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I seem to remember hearing that those were reprinted. Check into that before you try to get it authenticated.

Dec 5, 2013
Springfield, MO
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Treasure_Hunter;3420425 Back then rag paper was used which held up longer than wood pulp paper. [/QUOTE said:
My first impression was "Why is the paper so white? So is this correct? Would this have been a quality of paper that isn't deteriorated over time by the acid?

allen_idaho

Dec 4, 2007
Culdesac, Idaho
Hi, I realize this is a pretty old thread. But I thought you might be interested to know that another copy of this same newspaper exists in the archives of the Newseum in Washington D.C. If anybody could authenticate it for you, it's them. Here is their website if you still have any interest:
Places to Visit in Washington, DC near the National Mall | Newseum

The Evening Express itself was a Washington D.C. newspaper.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My first impression was "Why is the paper so white? So is this correct? Would this have been a quality of paper that isn't deteriorated over time by the acid?
There were a lot of reprints made. I don't see much foxing on the paper either and it is in pretty bad condition... It doesn't look like any real attempt was made to preserve it either

" Foxing*is a term describing the age-related spots and browning seen on vintage paper*documents*such as*books,*postage stamps,*certificates, and so forth. The name may derive from the*fox-like reddish-brown color of the stains, or the rust chemical*ferric oxide*which may be involved. Paper so affected is said to be "foxed."

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foxing

The poor condition of it would destroy most of the real value to collectors if it was authentic..

That is just my personal opinion and that may not be worth much.....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread