Andrew Jackson map?

CWnut

May 9, 2003
E. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Tesoro tigershark----Tesoro Conquistador Umax------Fisher FX-3----Master Hunter CX-Plus w/ depth multiplier
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
war of 1812 if i'm not mistaken. Here's an evening's worth of research. Hope it helps.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=war+of+1812+maps&btnG=Google+Search&aq=f&oq=

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most people have heard of the Natchez Trace, but not so many have heard of Nolan's Trace. Nolan's Trace ran between Natchez, eastward into Alabama and may have swung down to Mobile. Or a branch could have. The Copeland Clan "worked" that route as well as the Natchez Trace, so the time period would fit with Andy Jackson's travels.

Cass

Feb 16, 2005
Dennis, there are a group of Andrew Jackson maps that are mentioned I think as being his battle maps for the Southern part of the 1812 campaign, that are in the Library of Congress. They are a part of the "Blair Collection", and as best I can determine the only way to see them is in their "reading room " there at the Library. You can go on line to the Library Site and ask questions of them and get all kinds of info. They have had the maps for several years now, and I even saw a few years ago, a comercial map site that had the maps for sale. Can't figure that ?? I asked the lady (at the Library)when and if ever they would put the maps on line and she said they were working on it. That was 5-6 years ago, or longer. I sort of complained to her that they put maps of far away places no one ever even heard of on line and that I thought it might serve folks better to put maps of more interest and pertaining to our own history, than some of the questionable (to me anyway) stuff they have on line. They have in a vague sort of way on their web site stated that the Jackson maps can be viewed on line , but every time I attempted to do so all I ever got was dead ends, and repeated instructions. Anyhow, see if you can get a copy of "Smith College Studies in History" . It is Major Howell Tatum's Journal. He was one of Jackson 's Topographical Engineers (1814) and gives his account of traveling from Mobile with the troops on the way the Battle of New Orleans. Interesting reading.There was plenty of activity early on of Troop movements between Mobile and Natchez , but any maps they used are rare to non existant. Good Luck, Cass

MichaelB

Aug 13, 2005
Mobile Bay, Alabama
Jackson Oak is still in Daphne AL where he camped. I was there today and took a picture. I have also seen his campsite where he camped along Fish River, Al before he moved towards New Orleans.

MichaelB

Cass

Feb 16, 2005
It needs to be mentioned that there were several different groups of Jackson's army that came from many different locations around the country that came to New Orleans to do battle. Another reason also that there is not much info about those particular troop movements is because for much of their movement toward New Orleans, there were only a few roads in use at that time and some of them in some places ( The Federal Road was one) had already fallen into disuse. The troops for a large part in gaining the shortest and fastest route to New Orleans had to cut and build their own roads. I have hunted 5 places where Jackson's troops camped, on their way to New Orleans, and for the most part due to the disturbance of the land,(plowing, harvesting and replanting of trees) it takes some serious hunting to produce a goodie now and then. It is a published fact about how the Ladies of New Orleans gathered together and made new clothes,patched and sewed on new buttons for those troops because they were a pretty ragged bunch. They had to swim or wade many of the streams and rivers they came to ,sleep on the ground, and go miles and miles exposed to the elements, summer and winter. The trip to New Orleans was made mostly in Novemember and I am sure that there were more than a few of them that died on the way.There are hints of their struggle in a few books and journals, and a lot of it is in the local histories and legends of your own rural communities and neighborhoods. Some really good reading for a first hand account of life in that time in history is "The Letters of Benjamin Hawkings," the Indian ((2 nd. one I think) Agent that was appointed by George Washington. He ended his stay in office in early 1800.

RELICDUDE07

Bronze Member
Oct 2, 2007
Pascagoula Ms.
Detector(s) used
minelab exp.
Anywhere near Natchez is a great place to look....Jackson and older stuff. Goodluck,relicdude

Attachments

• nachez.jpg
    nachez.jpg
    10.4 KB · Views: 1,114

MichaelB

Aug 13, 2005
Mobile Bay, Alabama
Jacksons letters to his wife Rachel call out Mobile and in historical documents show they were delivered to Mobile. John Coffee his calvary stalwart details Jackson leaving Mobile for Pensacola and later fro New Orleans. President Monroe also sent Jackson orders on how to deal with the Spanish to Mobile. There is also a note that when the HMS Hermes was sunk at Fort Bowyer, Jackson heard the explosion and he thought the Fort had fallen. He later learned that the Fort had won that battle. Sound travels very well up the bay. I can hear cannon fire from Fort Morgan(spot of Fort Bowyer) during reinactments all the way to Fairhope so it is reasonable to believe he would have heard the explosions if he was by the bay or on the eastern shore.

Now this does not tell us where he camped but we do know there was a ferry system to the eastern shore and a "Spanish Trail" to Pensacola. It makes sense that he would use it. The trail to New Orleans is much harder if by land and you all know marshes, creeks and swamps abound.

Just fyi.

MichaelB

Cass

Feb 16, 2005
Michael, Jacksons troops took a N Westerly route up into Miss.(missing those swamps) and then cut back to the SW and bringing them in from the the N of New Orleans,and the Cannon and heavier equip. was said to have been loaded onto boats and barges in the Pearl River, and came into Lake Ponchatrain by way of little known creeks and bayous. Even this brought them very close to where the British staged their troop movements from Pea Island (mouth of the Pearl)to New Orleans. They also split up into different groups so they would not deplete the resources of the land as they crossed and would have enough game for each, as smaller groups. They bought and paid people of the areas for provisions when they could, but Hunters went ahead every day or so and brought back game, and it would be cooked and waiting whenever the troops arrived for camp.They had years of experience already at moving troops through the wilderness and it all went pretty smooth.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread