Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

cw0909

Silver Member
Dec 24, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
not sure if this is what your looking for,the site has google map links to the state routes, and lists the stations,in each state
sorry forgot who, just posted a free san map link too, in maps, good for a week or so

MISSOURI STATIONS
Google map with the Missouri portion of the Butterfield Trail and related waymarks

http://knol.google.com/k/butterfield-stagecoach-overland-mail-co#

BuffaloBob

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2005
Rocky Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705 Gold Coil
deteknixXpointer Probe
Minelab Ex-Terra 70
White's Classic II
2014-2015 Colorado Gold Camp Prospector
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here is the Colorado Stage Routes map from:

Historical Atlas of Colorado
By Thomas J. Noel, Paul F. Mahoney, and Richard E. Stevens
University of Oklahoma Press 1994
ISBN 0-8061-2555-1

Attachments

• zoom_01.jpg
    zoom_01.jpg
    166.9 KB · Views: 23,451

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Buffalobob. I have given up on getting anything that detailed. Any arizona, new mexico, or texas maps in that collection of yours?

BuffaloBob

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2005
Rocky Mountains
Detector(s) used
deteknixXpointer Probe
Minelab Ex-Terra 70
White's Classic II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Casca said:
Thanks Buffalobob. I have given up on getting anything that detailed. Any arizona, new mexico, or texas maps in that collection of yours?

Don't know off hand. But I will look through my collection of maps and routes and let you know. Most likely just schedules and timetables but maybe I can put a route on a map.

Too many places, too little time!
BB

BuffaloBob

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2005
Rocky Mountains
Detector(s) used
deteknixXpointer Probe
Minelab Ex-Terra 70
White's Classic II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
BuffaloBob said:
Casca said:
Don't know off hand. But I will look through my collection of maps and routes and let you know. Most likely just schedules and timetables but maybe I can put a route on a map. Too many places, too little time!BB

Well I found a list of all the stops. And a site with lot's of info. Here we go:

Divisions and Stations of the Route
East to West
Ninth Division — St. Louis, Mo., to Tipton
Eighth Division — Tipton to Fort Smith, Ark., and Memphis, Tenn., to Fort Smith
Seventh Division — Fort Smith to Colbert's Ferry, Okla.
Sixth Division — Colbert's Ferry to Fort Chadbourne, Texas
Fifth Division — Fort Chadbourne to Franklin (El Paso), Texas
Fourth Division — Franklin (El Paso) to Tucson, Ariz.
Third Division — Tucson to Fort Yuma, Calif.
Second Division — Fort Yuma to Los Angeles, Calif.
First Division — Los Angeles to San Fransisco, Calif.

MISSOURI STATIONS
Google map with the Missouri portion of the Butterfield Trail and related waymarks.
From St. Louis to Tipton, the mail was carried by the Pacific Railroad.
Tipton
Schackleford's Station
Mulholland's Station
Burn's Station
Warsaw
Bailey's Station
Quincy
Yoast's Station
Bolivar
Smith's Station
Evan's Station
Springfield
Ashmore's Station
Smith's Station
Crouch's Station
Harbin's Station

ARKANSAS STATIONS
Google map with the Arkansas portion of the Butterfield Trail and related waymarks.
Northwestern Route
Callahan's Station (near present-day Rogers)
Fitzgerald's Station (near present-day Springdale)
Fayetteville
Park's Station
Brodie's Station (Lee Creek)
Woolsey's Station (also called Signal Hill)
Van Buren
Fort Smith
Memphis Route
Memphis, Tenn.
Madison, Ark.
Des Arc
Atlanta (present-day Austin)
Cadron
Plumer's Station (Plummerville)
Lewisburg (near present-day Morrilton)
Hurricane
Pottsville Inn
Norristown (Russellville)
Dardanelle
Stinnett's Station
Paris
Charleston
Fort Smith

OKLAHOMA STATIONS
Google map with the Oklahoma portion of the Butterfield Trail and related waymarks.
Watson's Station (Skullyville)
Trahern's Station
Holloway's Station (Brazil Station)
Riddle's Station
Pusley's Station
Blackburn's Station
Waddell's Station
Geary's Station
Boggy Depot
Blue River Station
Fisher's Station
Colbert's Ferry

TEXAS STATIONS
Google map with the Texas portion of the Butterfield Trail and related waymarks.
Preston's Station
Sherman
Diamond's Station
Gainesville
Davidson's Station
Connolly's Station
Earheart's Station
Jacksboro
Murphy's Station
Fort Belknap
Franz's Station
Clear Fork Station
Smith's Station
Fort Phantom Hill Station
Mountain Pass Station (Abercrombie Pass)
Valley Creek Station
Fort Chadbourne
Colorado River Station
Grape Creek Station
Camp Johnston
Head of Concho Station
Llano Estacado
Mustang Waterholes
Initial Northern Route
Horsehead Crossing Station
Immigrant Crossing Station
Pope's Crossing
Delaware Springs Station
Pinery
Guadalupe Pass Station
Crow Spring Station
Cornudas de los Alamos
Ojos de los Alamos
Hueco Tanks Station
Franklin (El Paso)
Later Southern Route
Horsehead Crossing Station
Fort Stockton (Comanche Spring)
Hackberry Hole Station
Barrilla Spring Station
Limpia
Fort Davis
Barrel Spring Station
Deadman's Hole
Van Horn's Wells
Eagle Spring
Fort Quitman
Birchville Station
San Elizario
Socorro
Ysleta
Franklin (El Paso)

NEW MEXICO STATIONS
Google map with the New Mexico portion of the Butterfield Trail and related waymarks.
Frontera (Cottonwoods Station)
Fort Fillmore
Mesilla
Picacho Station
Rough and Ready Station
Goodsight Peak Station
Fort Cummings
Cooke's Spring
Murphy's Station
Cow Spring Station
Soldier's Farewell
Station near Deming
Station near Lordsburg
Stein's Pass Station

ARIZONA STATIONS
Google map with the Arizona portion of the Butterfield Trail and related waymarks.
Fort Bowie
Apache Pass Station
Dragoon Spring Station
Cienaga Station
Willcox's Station
Tucson
Pointer Mountain Station
Picacho Pass Station
Pima Village
Maricopa Wells
Gila Ranch
Murderer's Grave Station
Oatman Flat
Flapjack Ranch
Griswell's Station
Peterman's Station
Filibuster Camp
Swiveller's Ranch
Arizona City
Texas Hill Station

CALIFORNIA STATIONS
Google map with the California portion of the Butterfield Trail and related waymarks.
Fort Yuma
Pilot Knob Station
Mountain Springs Station
Cooke's Wells Station (present-day Mexico)
Gardener's Wells Station (present-day Mexico)
Alamo Mocho Station (present-day Mexico)
Monument Station
Indian Wells Station
Sackett's Wells
Carrizo Creek Station
Palm Spring
Vallecito Station
Box Canyon
Blair Valley
San Felipe
Warner's Ranch
Oak Grove Station
Aguanga Station
Temecula Station
Laguna Grande
Murrieta
Temescal Station
Corona
Chino Ranch
San Jose Station (Pomona)
El Monte Station
Los Angeles
Cahuenga Station
Los Encinos
Mission San Fernando
Hart's Station
King's Station
Widow Smith's Station
French John's Station
Reed's Station
Fort Tejon
Sinks of Tejon (Alamo Station)
Kern River Slough
Kern River Crossing (Gordon's Ferry)
Poso Creek Station (Posey Station)
Mountain House Station
Fountain Spring Station
Tule River Station
Lindsay
Packwood's Station
Visalia Station
Cross Creek Station
King's River Station
Elk Horn Spring Station
Hawthorne's Station
Fresno City
Firebaugh Ferry
Temple's Station
Lone Willow Station
San Luis Ranch
Pacheco Pass Station
Soap Lake (present-day San Felipe)
Gilroy
Seventeen Mile House
Hernández House
San Jose
Mountain View
Redwood City
San Mateo
Clark's Station
Oak Grove Station
San Francisco
http://knol.google.com/k/butterfield-stagecoach-overland-mail-co#references

Attachments

• Image3.jpg
    Image3.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 9,299

BuffaloBob

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2005
Rocky Mountains
Detector(s) used
deteknixXpointer Probe
Minelab Ex-Terra 70
White's Classic II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Overland mail - Central Route Wells Fargo Map...........
BB

Attachments

• CentralRoute.jpg
    CentralRoute.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 10,156

BuffaloBob

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2005
Rocky Mountains
Detector(s) used
deteknixXpointer Probe
Minelab Ex-Terra 70
White's Classic II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You're welcome. :)
BB

Oldhunter67

Aug 21, 2009
Central, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
Prizm IV, Whites 6T, Garrett AT Pro ( Have used DFX, XLT, Fisher, Garretts )
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A friend of mine, Gerald T. Ahnert , just recently published a book on the Butterfield Trail & Overland Mail Company in Arizona 1858-1861. The book contains ninety-five maps showing the location of the 400 mile trail and twenty-six stage station sites in Arizona. Currently Mr. Anhnert is in the Klondike taking care of his mining interests there but by the end of September he usually returns home to Syracuse, N.Y.. I dont know if you could do a Google search for his address but I do know his name pops up. I have a copy of the book and I must say it is well written and , because he has actually walked the trail, the maps are spot on. If you are truely interested in this history I suggest your contacting Mr. Anhert and purchasing a copy of this book. I think the price is in the $20-$30 range..and contains 185 pages.

BuffaloBob

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2005
Rocky Mountains
Detector(s) used
deteknixXpointer Probe
Minelab Ex-Terra 70
White's Classic II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Oldhunter67 said:
A friend of mine, Gerald T. Ahnert , just recently published a book on the Butterfield Trail & Overland Mail Company in Arizona 1858-1861. The book contains ninety-five maps showing the location of the 400 mile trail and twenty-six stage station sites in Arizona. Currently Mr. Anhnert is in the Klondike taking care of his mining interests there but by the end of September he usually returns home to Syracuse, N.Y.. I dont know if you could do a Google search for his address but I do know his name pops up. I have a copy of the book and I must say it is well written and , because he has actually walked the trail, the maps are spot on. If you are truely interested in this history I suggest your contacting Mr. Anhert and purchasing a copy of this book. I think the price is in the $20-$30 range..and contains 185 pages.

Oldhunter67, sounds like valuable info. I may get a copy just for grins. Have relatives in AZ and maybe a combined family/detecting/nugget hunting trip could work out.

I do a lot of research with Google maps and find more interesting places to search than a guy could do in a lifetime. Arizona would be ideal. Maybe

in winter. Last couple times there the temps were 110+ and I really couldn't enjoy any detecting. Cooler weather, maybe in the high country would be better.

Are you familiar with the detector store in Idaho(?) that puts together guided nugget hunting trips to Arizona? That would be fun. Maybe I'll check that out again. Thanks for the book info. :)
BB
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Found the book on Amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/Retracing-Butterfield-Overland-Through-1857-1861/dp/0870260308

Product Details

Hardcover: 112 pages
Publisher: Westernlore Pr (June 1973)
Language: English
ISBN-10: 0870260308
ISBN-13: 978-0870260308
Product Dimensions: 10.8 x 8.7 x 0.8 inches
Shipping Weight: 1.5 pounds
Average Customer Review: Be the first to review this item
Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #2,833,797 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)

Oldhunter67

Aug 21, 2009
Central, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
Prizm IV, Whites 6T, Garrett AT Pro ( Have used DFX, XLT, Fisher, Garretts )
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That was a book he wrote in 1973..The book I was referring to was just published in the Spring of 2010.
When I last talked with him , just before he left for the Klondike , he said that when he got back he would start making the book available for all. Fortunately I purchased one of the first copies. I know he took a great deal of time matching old maps with new maps and he even gives you which part of the trail is on Federal, Private and State land. Buried within its story is a great treasure lead..I intend to discuss it with him when he returns home..I have always said that history books should be read cover to cover..even if only one sentence gives you a lead..you still have that lead...and this is a good one..And no...Im not giving that one away...but one thing that did pique my interest was that the wagons actually had a means to measure how many miles a day they traveled..Who would have thought that back then they could do that...Interesting!!
And he explains that in depth too...I should be his promoter...Lol...Anyway..great book..many things in there that I will bet you will say... I did'nt know that...And Gerry if you read this...well...it is a great book..and I was glad you let me watch , and learn , while you put it together over the past year or so. Congrats. That being said I know Mr. Ahnert would appreciate my saying that GPS positions given within the book are COPYRIGHTED MATERIAL and cannot be collected and sold without his permission as is other information given within the book..We knew that anyway..didn't we?

Gork

Dec 13, 2004
The list of Butterfield Stage Stations listed here I think are based on information listed in Wikipedia. At least it looks like it.
These lists are usually taken from the Postmaster General's report compiled by Bailey. He was assigned to ride on the first Butterfield stagecoach to make his report. For many reasons, he misspelled many of the station names or reported them not as Butterfield's names, but what seemed sensible to him. I stopped counting the inaccuracies in Wikipedia at twenty-five. There was no sense going on. I also see in one entry on this topic here that the map that is commonly used to show the route of the trail is the intended route before it was actually built. You will note that it does not show the trail going down into Mexico after it left Arizona. It reentered California near New River. The misinformation on the Butterfield Trail in Arizona (and elsewhere) is incredible.
The initial count of the stations in Arizona was seventeen in September 1858 and when it ended in March 1861 there were twenty-five. The total number of stations from 1858-61 was twenty-six. There is only one identifiable ruins that exist today and that is of the protected site of Dragoon Springs Stage Station. I have tried to correct many of the old falsehoods in my new book published April 2011 titled "The Butterfield Trail and Overland Mail Company in Arizona, 1858-1861."
No Butterfield stagecoach in Arizona was ever held up by outlaws and the Apache Indians only attacked a Butterfield Stagecoach once. This was in February 1861 and they only slowed down the mail.
There are no known Butterfield Overland stagecoaches in Arizona as all the employees, livestock, and equipment were ordered transferred to the northern trail in March 1861 because of the advancing Confederate Army. Also, not Concord or Troy style stagecoaches were used in Arizona. Only the Celerity stagecoach was used.
I could go on and on, but I guess that is why a wrote my latest book, just so I could do that. There are over ninety maps in the book with many photos, historical drawings. and many GPS locations. Everything in the book is copyrighted including the body of GPS locations. This is the result of over forty years of work and many of the GPS locations are uniquely attributed to my research.
I wrote the book in hopes of preserving the history of the trail in Arizona and to give information to protect the remaining physical route of the trail.

Gork

Dec 13, 2004
BuffaloBob listed above the Butterfield Arizona stage stations. Here are the correct 26 Butterfield Overland Mail Company stage stations in Arizona starting from the New Mexico border:

1. San Simon stage station
2. Apache Pass stage station (Fort Bowie didn't exist until after Butterfield shut down the line)
3. Ewell's stage station
4. Dragoon Springs stage station
5. San Pedro River stage station
6. Seneca-Cienega stage station
7. Tucson stage station
8. Pointer Mountain stage station
9. Picacho stage station
10. Blue Water stage station
11. Oneida stage station
12. Sacaton stage station
13. Casa Blanca stage station
14. Maricopa stage station
15. Desert stage station
16. Gila Ranch stage station
17. Kinyon's stage station
18. Oatman Flat stage station
19. Burke's stage station
20. Stanwix Ranch stage station
21. Grinnell's (Texas Hill) stage station
22. Mohawk (Peterman's) stage station
23. Antelope Peak stage station
24. Fillibuster Camp stage station
25. Mission Camp stage station
26. Snively's (Gila City) stage station

The stations took on various names but the above are the names most popularly used during Butterfield's time. You will note that five of the station names come from New York State as many of the employees, especially the stagecoach drivers, were from central-New York State.
There was no Butterfield Overland Mail Company station at Fort Bowie, Willcox, or Arizona City.

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
These names are still visable on the rail lines, and Highway 10 signs. Not all but some for sure.

surfhunter

Sep 25, 2011
FL NATIVE
Detector(s) used
Sand Shark+ Excal.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anyone have a map on Florida routes and stations.

Gork

Dec 13, 2004
Casca said:
These names are still visable on the rail lines, and Highway 10 signs. Not all but some for sure.
This is often the case where railroad lines take basic the same route as the old trails. The train stations will take the name of a nearby historical feature, but this also caused confusion. This is sometimes the case with the old Maricopa Wells Stage Station site. The town of Maricopa is 7 1/2 miles below the old site and the town didn't come into existent until the completion of the railroad in 1879.
There is a great deal of confusion with many other sites also, some due to other reasons. The town of Dos Cabezas has long claimed that the Butterfield Station was in the town. Actually the station, Ewell's Station, was 4 miles south. The town of Dos Cabezas didn't come into existence in the late 1870s well after the closing of the Butterfield line in March 1861. The spring that supplied the cistern at the old station was in the pass of the Dos Cabezas Mountains. This point has confused some.

Gork

Dec 13, 2004
cw0909 said:
not sure if this is what your looking for,the site has google map links to the state routes, and lists the stations,in each state
sorry forgot who, just posted a free san map link too, in maps, good for a week or so

MISSOURI STATIONS
Google map with the Missouri portion of the Butterfield Trail and related waymarks

http://knol.google.com/k/butterfield-stagecoach-overland-mail-co#

You will note that there are a number of errors on the site not necessarily due to the author. The early information was inaccurate for a number of reasons. Bailey in his initial report to the Postmaster General misspelled many of the names and there were many more stations added later. I have listed the twenty-six stations in Arizona in one of my other posts. Although he lists one at Fort Bowie it is incorrect since Fort Bowie didn't exist during Butterfield's time.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions