Aerial and Satellite Maps

TSCOM

Oct 13, 2014
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5, Tesoro Compadre
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have some questions about the history of aerial maps/photos. Are aerial maps taken by airplanes? For example historicaerials.com.

When did the US start taking aerial photos and when did they switch to satellite? I'm curious if they go further back than 1955.

Jesse James

Mar 14, 2012
Lancaster County, PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here in PA we can get aerial photos as far back as 1939. That's the oldest I've come across. I believe they were taken for agricultural purposes. The come in handy for my research.

geologyjohn

Mar 18, 2009
West edge of the U.S.
Detector(s) used
WW2 mine detector, D-Tex Standard, D-Tex Deluxe, A.H. Pro Discriminator, various Whites, Fisher 1265-X, Fisher 1270, Fisher F75, Fisher Gold Bug,Tesoro Sand Shark. And maybe others that I forgot?
I have been a geologist since the 1970's. I frequently use aerial photos in my work. Also for my TH'ing. The oldest stereo pairs of aerial photographs that I have used were a flight line flown in 1928. The oldest non-stereo photos I have looked at are WW1 battlefield reconn photos taken over France and Belgium. Geologyjohn

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Aerial maps are images taken by airplanes, stitched together and then orthorectified. That's where the stereo pairs come in - to provide the Digital Elevation Model (DEM) to rectify photo distortions due to differences in elevation across the aerial image area.

Satellite images can provide aerial mapping but there are a lot of limitations that lower level airplanes don't encounter. The most familiar obstacle to good satellite imagery is the lower resolution. Other obstacles are atmospheric disturbance and angle distortion.

Aerial photography goes back all the way to the first cameras being carried on hot air balloons. I can't name an exact date off the top of my head but it was probably 1850 or slightly before.

OP
OP
TSCOM

TSCOM

Oct 13, 2014
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5, Tesoro Compadre
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Aerial maps are images taken by airplanes, stitched together and then orthorectified. That's where the stereo pairs come in - to provide the Digital Elevation Model (DEM) to rectify photo distortions due to differences in elevation across the aerial image area.

Satellite images can provide aerial mapping but there are a lot of limitations that lower level airplanes don't encounter. The most familiar obstacle to good satellite imagery is the lower resolution. Other obstacles are atmospheric disturbance and angle distortion.

Aerial photography goes back all the way to the first cameras being carried on hot air balloons. I can't name an exact date off the top of my head but it was probably 1850 or slightly before.

Good info, thank you.

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
geologyjohn, please excuse my ignorance, but what are "stereo pairs"?
Thanks
Peace

redbeardrelics

Jan 3, 2014
Maryland's Eastern Shore
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500, (Ace 250 spare)
Primary Interest:
Other
I have some questions about the history of aerial maps/photos. Are aerial maps taken by airplanes? For example historicaerials.com.

When did the US start taking aerial photos and when did they switch to satellite? I'm curious if they go further back than 1955.

Good info everyone.
TSCOM, on the historicaerials.com website, the first maps from my area to be corrected or adjusted by use of airplane, seem to be the ones from 1944. This can be discerned by using the "slide" feature, and checking to see how accurate the building locations are on the different maps, in relation to where the buildings are actually located on the more recent, and more accurate photographs taken from airplanes and space (if that makes sense). The maps in my area from 1944 onward are pretty darn accurate. The maps prior to that show errors and variances in distance and road angles etc., that were not corrected by having access to more accurate views from above ground.

geologyjohn

Mar 18, 2009
West edge of the U.S.
Detector(s) used
WW2 mine detector, D-Tex Standard, D-Tex Deluxe, A.H. Pro Discriminator, various Whites, Fisher 1265-X, Fisher 1270, Fisher F75, Fisher Gold Bug,Tesoro Sand Shark. And maybe others that I forgot?
To Cincinnatikid: I guess that an easy way to answer your question is this. When you look at the stereo pair of photographs through a stereoscope, the images appear to form a single 3-dimensional photograph. Very good for studying topography. Geologyjohn

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread