Need old Michigan Indain Trail and Stage coach trail maps

savant365

Silver Member
Mar 28, 2007
Northwest Missouri
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
I have been looking for the same thing in Missouri. I can't believe how hard it is to find these maps. The only luck I have had have been library's and the courthouse and it wasn't anything really helpful. Nothing online yet but if I find a good site I'll let you know. Good luck

bytheriver

Jul 11, 2006
Here is a site..not free but will give you some ideas and thoughts.

http://www.research-unlimited.com/trails.html

www.tngenweb.org/cessions/ms-west/ilcmap38.jpeg (Missouri map of Indian areas. )

Go to nationalatlas.gov search for Federal Land and Indian Reservations

www.lib.utexas.edu/maps/united_states/early_indian_west.jpg (Early Indian Tribes, Cultural Areas)

Google Search individually for: Old Wire Road Stage Stop and Inn, Butterfield Stage & Mail Route, Osage Trace, Military Road, Telegraph Roads, Santa Fe Trail, All Roadbeds in Southern Missouri Surveyed by Osage Indians, Tales from the Trails, National Historic Trails, Old Roads in North Arkansas, St. Louis Missouri road to Arkansas.

There is no end to the search...one find leads you to another.

Happy Trails
River

DennisB

Jun 13, 2006
Clinton Twp Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett's Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Gold Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't hold me to this but I believe I read somewhere that Grand River Rd is the old stagecoach line in Michigan.

Dennis

jglunt

Feb 15, 2005
On the big Muskegon River in W. Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DennisB said:
Don't hold me to this but I believe I read somewhere that Grand River Rd is the old stagecoach line in Michigan.

Dennis

Yes it is. At one time it was basically the only route to Chicago. A bit of trivia...the city of Novi, which is on Grand River Rd. was so named because it was at one time only known as stop No. VI headed West out of Detroit. Another piece of trivia is the New Hudson Inn also located on Grand River Rd. a few miles West of Novi is (or was) the oldest continuously operating liquor license in the state.

Jim

DennisB

Jun 13, 2006
Clinton Twp Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett's Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Gold Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
;D Good to have ya back Gypsy. How did your hunt go?

Dennis

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread