topo maps for entire us with old home locations - free

maxxkatt

Jul 16, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was looking for old free topo maps one could download or view on line.

So far I have come across one place that is sort of free. Well it is not free but they offer up sample images of places in the county and if those happen to be a place you are looking to hunt for old home foundations it will work.

Populated Place USGS placenames in Gwinnett County, Georgia

you can click on a place and get some samples, but click on the "Browse more maps" button and it brings up the whole wide area which you can narrow in on and zoom in/out to find small black squares of old home locations. It seems to show black squares on homes that where there prior to 1980. this is based on my knowledge of my area.

I use a tool for windows call snagit to act as a screen grabber to snag and print the areas that I wish to print out on 8 x 11" paper to take along on my hunts.

the domain name is Custom Topographic Maps and Aerial Maps for the USA & Canada it has many other resources.

one last item: when you are browsing topo maps which show older buildings as a small square, you can switch to a street map or satellite map which make it handy to see what the area looks like today.

Last edited:

Just_curious

Aug 27, 2017
Georgia/Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab GM1000
White's GMZ
White's Spectrum XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is what I use to get historical and current maps. It's completely free and you can save as a .kml file to overlay on top of Google earth. I also use earths topo plug in and compare

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using TreasureNet.com mobile app

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions