Google maps overlay not accurate

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You need to be a LOT more specific as to what you are talking about. I do GE overlays all the time and as long as the overlay is accurate, then the finished product is too.

OP
OP
robncoop

robncoop

Greenie
Dec 13, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Downloaded a map from the library of Congress. I've done this before.went to overlay it on Google Earth and it was completely backwards and off.now it's next to the Rappahannock river and I know the river changes but it's like miles upon miles off.im just confused.the shopping centers are way above where they should be like 3 to 4 miles away from the map I'm overlaying. What looks like my hunting grounds on Google Earth without the overlay shows woods.and I know it's woods.but with the overlay it's not what's there

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you realize that you can resize, rotate and move the overlay exactly how you want it? It often take me an hour or more to get all the landmarks lined up between the two maps. It's not fast, but accuracy is important.

OP
OP
robncoop

robncoop

Greenie
Dec 13, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm looking at the icons of landmarks on Google earth.its confusing the hell outta me.they are not at all in place with what I know.maybe the older map is way wrong?.so confused and frustrated I just got permission to hunt .

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It depends on the landmarks. I have found that rivers are often off by quite a bit. Even the highly accurate Sanborn maps are not perfect when overlaying the drawn buildings to the real ones but you can get pretty darn close. All I can say is that you have to play with it a lot to get it as close as possible to accurate.

OP
OP
robncoop

robncoop

Greenie
Dec 13, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jason I did not.....that's why I posted.the two others were perfect.thats why I love this community. I was rushing .thank you jason,your the man!.I've been using ge on my pad.just started fooling with it on my laptop and it's way diffrent.Thank you!!!!

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You should be able to find the overlay in your "my places" and right click and chose "properties". That will let you change size, orientation, move it around, and adjust the opacity. If you have more problems, just holler and I'll try to walk you through it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions