Jun 1, 2015
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I spend a lot of time researching 18th century sites and my main resource is digitized images of the plats for the original land grants. Many (but not all) of these plats have an "X" drawn on them. Does anyone know the significance of these marks? I would guess that they signify either the location of 1)a house or 2)the highest ground of the property. I have searched the 'net extensively but have not been able to find the answer to this question. Obviously if X marks a house, then this information is a very good way to locate an old home site.

Do any of you know what the X marks are for?

Thanks

mcl

Sep 26, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey,

I extensively use plat maps, although I will admit 19th century is my specialty. However, if you are willing to provide a specific map with an example of the symbol you referenced I may be able to help.

It does not need to be one in an area you'd actually interested in searching. Just need a map that shows the feature and preferably contains the information I need to cross-reference it (e.g., specific location, date).

-mcl

OP
OP
DownNDirty

DownNDirty

Bronze Member
Jun 1, 2015
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome! I'll send you a pm. Thanks

OP
OP
DownNDirty

DownNDirty

Bronze Member
Jun 1, 2015
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mcl-
Thank you for your very extensive research on this subject. Based on what you found I agree that the Xs do not indicate houses, and probably were placed there for some sort of administrative purpose by the surveyor.

mcl

Sep 26, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
On the one hand it's a disappointment because that would have been a gold mine of research material for that reason alone; on the other, this way you won't be recreating the "Oak Island" travesty. Happy hunting.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread