West Virginia CW maps

WV_Digger

Greenie
Aug 31, 2007
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
ACE250
I have been researching a couple of actions in my part of West Virginia the Huntersville skirmish and the battle of the greenbrier river. I know where the main camps were for the greenbrier river battle but I cant seem to find any maps showing troop movements for Huntersville skirmish.

Most of the camps, battle sites etc..for the greenbrier river are on private property (Travelers Repose) or national forest, but a lot of the travel would be in areas that may be searchable, the same for the huntersvill skirmish. Does anyone know of any maps or where I might find CW maps of these areas?

OP
OP
W

WV_Digger

Greenie
Aug 31, 2007
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
ACE250
Hey there, thanks for the links. I found a map of the greenbrier river battle, shows the camp and a lot of different things. I drive right thru it everyday but cant MD it. Maybe one day I will luck into a route they took to get there.

Rowdy

Jun 11, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites M-6
WV_Digger said:
Hey there, thanks for the links. I found a map of the greenbrier river battle, shows the camp and a lot of different things. I drive right thru it everyday but cant MD it. Maybe one day I will luck into a route they took to get there.

If you don't have one, see if you can find an old atlas for the county in question. I got the ones for my home, and the neighboring county on CD off of e-bay for about $10 each I think. Seems like they are all 1885, guess maybe there was a national survey or something that year.

Compare the maps in that atlas, to a current map. Odds are good, that some of the old roads are gone, or are slightly off in places from the current ones. See if you can locate places like that on private land, then start knocking on doors! Odds are probably good, that any old roads in the immediate area were traveled by both sides during the war.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread