1800s Topo Maps
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By britej

Thread: 1800s Topo Maps

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »

Jan 2008
    1 times

1800s Topo Maps

Getting back into metal detecting and have a question. I used to be able to overlay 1800ish topo maps for Southwest Arkansas on Historicalariels.com. Now, it only goes back to the 1950's. Is there a sight that still has the older topo maps? Thanks

Charter Member
    us
    Nov 2010
    The Great Southwest
    11157 times
    Prospecting
    U.S. Topo maps date back to 1884. Those were very low resolution maps at a 1:250,000 scale at best (4 mile resolution) and most were 1:500,000 (8 mile resolution) or 1:1,000,000 (16 mile resolution).

It wasn't until 1947 that the maps that we know today as "topos" began to be made. Those modern 1:24000 topo maps have a best resolution of 40 foot. Those were made until 1992. Most areas had several topo updates through that 45 year period.

Around some of the major cities, including Little Rock, there are a few earlier 1:24000 topo maps that date as early as 1935.

You can find and download every topo ever made on the Land Matters Topo download map.

Go to the Land Matters Topo Search Map. Zoom in to your area by clicking and dragging a box around the area you want to study.

Then

Click on the "i" tool on the right of the map.
    Click on your area of interest.
    In the window that pops up will be an row named 24k Standard Topos. Click on the link that says Click for Historical Scanned Topo Maps.
    A new page will open with links to download any historical 1:24000 topo made for your area.

There are checkboxes for lower resolution historic topos to the right of the map. Click one or all of those checkboxes and use the "i" tool again and you will get more topo maps to download.

From this one map you can download any topo made for you area of interest.

Easy enough?
    Last edited by Clay Diggins; Jan 05, 2020 at 11:05 AM.

Jan 2008
    1 times
    you are awesome. thank you sir. This help tremendously.
    Clay Diggins likes this.

us
    The Irishman

May 2020
    Oak Ridge, TN
    Looking at the Garrett AT Max and the Teknetics T2, may be going to order a Fisher Gold Bug 2 for prospecting
    1 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Here is a site that I use for 1800's topos, it is run by the USGS so the maps are of a good quality and are in PDF format, you can download for free and have printed. https://ngmdb.usgs.gov/topoview/

us
    I play the accordion and dig for treasure... what else can I say.

Dec 2017
    Connecticut Western Reserve
    Garret ACE 300
    837 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    I think this will have some of the maps you're looking for... Historic World Maps for Sale: Prints & Images: Historic Map Works, Residential Genealogy?
    Library of Congress also has quite a few... https://www.loc.gov/maps/?dates=1800...ation:arkansas
    p.s. If yer from NE Ohio you should join this group... http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/gr...detectors.html

2020 Totals
    Metal Detecting
    • Coppers: 1837 Hard Times token, 3 Matron Head LC's, (half of a) Victoria Penny, 1868, 1908 IHP
    • Silvers: 1942 Washington
    • Flat buttons: 16
    • Military buttons: 1
    • Indian artifacts, points, etc: 2

Sponsored Links