🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What is at those locations today?
Contact your county's historian.
Don..
Houses there now… The river still runs through there. Used to be a booming town pre-Civil War, but fizzled out when they built railroad tracks through a nearby town. Anyway thanks for the reply and the tip.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
No indication which way is North.
It's a mill pond. (?)
So the star is either the dam end ,or outlet end.

OP
OP
postalgriff

postalgriff

Silver Member
Aug 7, 2008
Southern Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No indication which way is North.
It's a mill pond. (?)
So the star is either the dam end ,or outlet end.
sorry about that, the map sits with north at the top... I think you answered my suspicion though, dam end and outlet. thank you!

OP
OP
postalgriff

postalgriff

Silver Member
Aug 7, 2008
Southern Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you want more help, you may op to tell us the location.
Don....
thanks Don, yeah I don't have a problem disclosing the location. Although I think relevantchair answered my question. The area is Columbia township, Jackson Co., MI. Used to be a little village/town called Jefferson. Only evidence left is the Schoolhouse and some houses. What I thought was peculiar, was the two maps I have show a big difference in houses or buildings. The yellowish map is from 1858 and the pinkish one is 1874. the 1874 is usually very detailed but it doesn't show the schoolhouse which actually still stands. It surprised me that the older map was more detailed. Anyway, thanks again for you guys and your input, Griff.

Attachments

• map.jpg
    map.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 71
  • map2.jpg
    map2.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 71

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Good story and pics about the town are here: https://99wfmk.com/jeffersonmichigan/?utm_source=tsmclip&utm_medium=referral
That source includes this sentence: "
Over the next two or three decades, the village had quite a few businesses pop up: two blacksmiths, church, two general stores, grist mill, saw mill, schoolhouse, sorghum mill, wagon shop and a wool mill."
Looks like a perfect 'ghost town' to MD.
Don.......

OP
OP
postalgriff

postalgriff

Silver Member
Aug 7, 2008
Southern Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Regarding the mills in Jefferson:

To John Pettigrew, Jr., belongs the honor of building the first saw mill in the township. He came from Clark County, Ohio, in 1830, and in the spring of. 1831 or 1882 erected on the South Branch of the Pokagon, in Section 6, a sawmill containing an old fashioned upright saw, When worn out, it was replaced by another located farther down the stream; to which was dug a race, thereby increasing its motive power.
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]
The next record we have concerning mills was one erected by Peter Shaffer, of Calvin, and Dr. Beardsley, of Elkhart, hid., on the Christiana Creek, in 1836 but this, too, has succumbed to the ravages of time, and in its place, or nearly so, stands a grist mill of three run of stone built by Mr. Redfield in 1867.

About 1840, Robert Painter built a grist mill, with two run of stone, just below the Shaffer Beardsley mill, and commenced the manufacture of flour. His mill pond, when flooded so as to give sufficient water, interfered with the saw mill just above, and he therefore changed its site further down the stream, nearly on the bank of Painter's Lake, cutting a millrace from his dam first built, which, passing through a small pond, afforded ample water power. With his increased power, his ambition to manufacture increased. Thereafter a saw and woolen mill were added to the grist mill.

From this time on, it changed hands rapidly the machinery to the woolen factory having been removed, it not being a paying investment until all was closed up, and the grist mill machinery taken to Edwardsburg, where it now does duty.

Source: (in the MANUFACTORIES paragraph)[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]:[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]//history.rays-place.com/mi/cass-jefferson.htm
Don........[/FONT]

[/FONT]

OP
OP
postalgriff

postalgriff

Silver Member
Aug 7, 2008
Southern Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Regarding the mills in Jefferson:

To John Pettigrew, Jr., belongs the honor of building the first saw mill in the township. He came from Clark County, Ohio, in 1830, and in the spring of. 1831 or 1882 erected on the South Branch of the Pokagon, in Section 6, a sawmill containing an old fashioned upright saw, When worn out, it was replaced by another located farther down the stream; to which was dug a race, thereby increasing its motive power.

The next record we have concerning mills was one erected by Peter Shaffer, of Calvin, and Dr. Beardsley, of Elkhart, hid., on the Christiana Creek, in 1836 but this, too, has succumbed to the ravages of time, and in its place, or nearly so, stands a grist mill of three run of stone built by Mr. Redfield in 1867.

About 1840, Robert Painter built a grist mill, with two run of stone, just below the Shaffer Beardsley mill, and commenced the manufacture of flour. His mill pond, when flooded so as to give sufficient water, interfered with the saw mill just above, and he therefore changed its site further down the stream, nearly on the bank of Painter's Lake, cutting a millrace from his dam first built, which, passing through a small pond, afforded ample water power. With his increased power, his ambition to manufacture increased. Thereafter a saw and woolen mill were added to the grist mill.

From this time on, it changed hands rapidly the machinery to the woolen factory having been removed, it not being a paying investment until all was closed up, and the grist mill machinery taken to Edwardsburg, where it now does duty.

Source: (in the MANUFACTORIES paragraph):
//history.rays-place.com/mi/cass-jefferson.htm
Don........

As I was trying to make sense of this I realized this may be referring to another Jefferson in SW Michigan closer to the Indiana border (Cass county). Your previous info with the link, however, is the place I've been investigating. Still my hat's off to you sir, you're a huge asset to this site and obviously have great knowledge and research skills!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread