Interpreting TOPO Map Symbols ??

IronClad

Aug 29, 2007
N. Central Ohio
Detector(s) used
Silver Eagle, White's Eagle I, White's Eagle II SL, 6000/Di Series 3, Silver Sabre II
I've been looking over local TOPO Maps around my area and I'm amazed at what is on them. Found one dated 1915 and cannot believe the 1 room School Houses listed that are no longer there. I got some work to do next summer.

Anyway, What I wanted to know is,, are there any keys or indexes to what some of the things on these maps mean. Specifically what I have posted below. Any idea what this would indicate. Its a farm field now.. Thanks if anyone can help.

jj.jpg

RON (PA)

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2004
Pittsburgh, Pa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre & Tiger Shark
To the best of my knowledge, the black squares are buildings (houses, schools, etc.) and the oval shape could be a track of some kind (race car, horse, possibly a football field). Based on the fact that it is a 1915 map and it is a farm field now, I am inclined to think it might be an old horse racing track. But just a guess. Hope it helps.

Welcome aboard. Glad to have you with us. This is a great site with great people.

The link to Topozone may help with the symbols.
http://www.topozone.com/help/mapsymbols.asp

OP
OP
IronClad

IronClad

Aug 29, 2007
N. Central Ohio
Detector(s) used
Silver Eagle, White's Eagle I, White's Eagle II SL, 6000/Di Series 3, Silver Sabre II
Thanks for the info and link. Exactly what I wanted. I gotta make some rosd trips to locate these long gone schools. Some of the 1 room schools are still standing around here, but most are gone according the the map. Thanks again RON ( PA ).

cptbil

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2003
Az/NM/Ca/Nv/Tx
Write or contact the
"USGS" in Denver and they'll send you a Free booklet with all of the Symbols on it!
They also have State "Indexs" of maps & etc...

hat_man

Sep 13, 2006
Sterling Illinois
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
Hi Ironclad,
I just found this and if you find that is was a horse racing track then see if you can find out where the grandstand was. Usually along the front stretch. If the road on the map was there in 1915 then I would say on the other side was the grandstand. Also if you can figure out where the track actually sits then check all along where the rail was. Horse betting was very popular back then but not with stubs and windows like now. Just a couple of guys betting what was in their pockets. Good luck and HH.

Hat_man

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Every topo may I've ever used had a Legend on it defining the meanings of the symbols used on that sheet.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread