How to read a Plat Map

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Each Township-and-Range square, called a “township” for short, is usually (but not always) 6 miles on a side and contains 36 square “sections.” Sections are numbered from the northeast corner by “boustrophedon,” (boos-truh-FEED-un) a two-dollar word that means “as the ox plows.” Section 22 is almost in the middle.

One section = 1 square mile = 640 acres. Townships vary but sections are constant. Sections are further divided into halves, quarters, halves of quarters (eighths) and so on. The “west half of the north east quarter” defines an 80-acre tract, 1/4 mile east-to-west by 1/2 mile north-to-south.

How can I determine what the section number is?
Each section number is clearly marked on the township page in the center of each section (see illustration below).

What are tier and range numbers?
These numbers represent Township and Range and are indicated at the top of each Township page (see illustration below).

Most townships have one section that was donated to the school.Usually dead center in the 36 section parcels. Many of these are no longer a school,but actually the site of a former one.....these are a great place to find and search.

Attachments

• plat.jpg
    plat.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 7,761
  • plat1.jpg
    plat1.jpg
    9.3 KB · Views: 13,794
  • plat2.gif
    plat2.gif
    14.8 KB · Views: 11,403

m_sibole

Sep 15, 2007
I can help in any other questions about Plat Maps, Sections or Metes and Bounds

I am a surveyor and I can try to answer questions you might have on most any kind of Plat Maps. (It's what I do for a living).

Matt

SgtSki in MI

Oct 14, 2007
Hesperia, MI
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS & Explorer II, Fisher 1236-X2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good info Gyps!

I use plat maps extensively when I research. I have a current copy that I buy from the bank, and then I bounce it against several older plats of the same area at the library. What I like best about them is that the "SE quarter of the SW quarter of Section 22 of Gutrot Township" in 1880 is STILL the "SE quarter of the SW quarter of Section 22 of Gutrot Township" in 2008, as an example. I also use them in conjunction with current topo maps and the Microsoft Live! Map Server I find them especially helpful in locating old school, homestead, and ghost town sites. I'm ALWAYS doing research! Even right now in Iraq as I write this post I am downloading topo maps of the counties that I hunt in Michigan that I found on the Michigan DNR's website. 43 more days and I'm OUTTA here for home!

HH,
SgtSki

Marty-Graw

Feb 8, 2006
Albertville Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage, Garrett Treasure Ace 300
Re: I can help in any other questions about Plat Maps, Sections or Metes and Bounds

m_sibole said:
I am a surveyor and I can try to answer questions you might have on most any kind of Plat Maps. (It's what I do for a living).

Matt

i worked for a surveyor every summer starting when i was 12 and then went to work full time after graduation.....wish i MD back then...ran across SEVERAL old homesites deep in the woods......but that was about 18 years ago...but i do have a question.....we would plot off the spot we were working using a description....im sure you know what i am saying....what i want to know is..are there any kind of software that would do this for you?....I'm looking into buying tax siezed properties and if i could get the location i could go and see the property before i decide if i want it or not.....it would also help in our hobby if we had some kind of program for this.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions