Marbles 3.JPG
    72.1 KB · Views: 437
  • Marbles 4.JPG
    Marbles 4.JPG
    63 KB · Views: 425

Marbleguy

Nov 2, 2008
'Good' in eye of beholder..

Many of them look to me like they were made by Akro Agate. The problem is that competing marble companies copied their competitors' marble design/colorations. All you need to do is go buy some bags of marbles made-currently and compare them to antique,machine made marbles. After excavating a hundred marbles I knew dated from the 1920s/30s I bought a bag of marbles at Stater Brothers Market in the nearest city to my desert ghost town. To my surprise the new-made marbles were close copies of the antique marbles. The weathering on your marbles says they wer'nt made yesterday. They're oldies. It's all very complicated when we try to differentiate old from new. Me being born in 1946 means I consider things old differently than someone born in,say 1980. I dig up a silver dime dated 1962 and yell hotcha machacha I've found an antique. Then it dawns on me if that's an antique,what am I? I'm sure there are kids today that if they dug up one of my old 1960s Muntz 4-track stereo tapes they'd write home to mom about their great discovery. Your marbles certainly date prior to the 1950s.

duffytrash

Bronze Member
Jun 10, 2006
ohio river
here ya go left to right.....1--vitro---2--vitro---3--cairo---4--cant tell--5--cant tell--6--ravenswood 7--akro--8--cant tell9--bennington---10--cant tell--11--maqrble king--12--alley--13alley--14--stone--15--cant tell--16--master---17-18-19-mk..20--cant tell--21--master--22..vitro--23--mk--24--chinese checker25--mk...nothing real valuable...

OP
OP
Ant

Ant

Silver Member
Aug 6, 2006
Cali
Detector(s) used
Glold Bug 2 MineLab SE
Hey thanks Marbleguy and Duffytrash, thanks very much :icon_sunny:.

Hi Marbleguy,

I'm over in 29 Palms and know where Trona is. I see you’re finding lots of goodies. I hope you post your coins, and gold soon. Form what I know, Trona had 3 swimming spots. I'm sure you have hunted them out, if not, you might want to hit the the ones that have access.

Our Historic Plaza is slated for a face lift; I'm waiting for them to start.

Marbleguy

Nov 2, 2008
I know of two swimming spots..

One was the Trona swimming pool located a mile east of Trona. The other was the old,cement water-holding pool that supplied water to the chemical plant west of Trona. I'm excavating Boroslavy Canyon which is the next canyon west of the cement holding-pool. I will post photos of the marbles and other artifacts I've excavated. For the moment I'm weathering a big storm hitting Trona. Gale force winds and rain. Even the birds are flying backwards. As regards marbles,etc that aren't worth much,they have a value far beyond the monetary. It's that aspect of 'treasure hunting' that should be receiving greater attention. I've met so many folks who think hunting for artifacts is like buying lottery tickets. I've taken people to my excavations,showed them the ropes. Ten minutes later they give up and say "You did'nt tell me this would be work". I'm always polite but soon as I'm out of sight I slap my knees and howl with laughter.

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other
Ant,
neat post.
Nice group of marbles.
Interesting.

Thanks for posting.

have a good un.
SHERMANVILLE

OPUS1

Jan 23, 2009
So. Cal
Detector(s) used
BH QD II,Minelab GPX 4500 PULSE GOLD PROSPECTING DETECTOR,Garrett Infinium LS Pulse Metal Detector
Nice marbles, be sure not to lose them :tard:

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great marbles - congrats!!! :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions