:flag_pink: Pls help ID these Marbles

dirt-y_girl

May 30, 2013
Hi! I am new to metal detecting, and was out metal detecting where an old 1800's school was demolished. I happened to find a marble, and what may be another marble, but not completely sure. I'm thrown off by the blue one because it is not completely spherical and I've never seen a marble like it before. I thought maybe it was a bead of sorts, but I don't see any wholes in it for it to be a bead. The red and clear one is obviously a marble, but is it older or newer? I'm not sure if you can really tell by the pictures, but the red and clear one also has a lot of bubbles in it! Thanks for any and all help!! :cat:

IMG_1508.JPG IMG_1513.JPG IMG_1514.JPG IMG_1512.JPG IMG_1511.JPG IMG_1510.JPG IMG_1509.JPG

surf

Silver Member
Jan 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
seeing eye shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
attachment.php

Hello dirt-y,

Welcome to TNet & thanks for bringing the marbles.

The blue & white one is a stoneware or crockery marble called a Bennington. They were hand made in Germany prior to the First War. They are frequently out of round. The "eyes" happen when they touch a fellow passenger in the kiln. They come in several colors.

surf

Silver Member
Jan 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
seeing eye shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey dirt-y,

They are kinda common, as they were most popular, once upon a time. They're still a delight to find, in my opinion.

I've got a single fluted die shaped piece with the blue Bennington glaze that I've been wondering about for years...

c92af1c5-9892-4a7b-9122-59e7c0673934_zpsdcbbc829.jpg

BadAdze

Oct 2, 2012
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would have to agree with these guys. Great finds!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions