Surf Tumbled Marbles

HenryWaltonJonesJr

Sep 2, 2013
Downtown Chicago
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, AT Pro, Compadre, SeaHunter II, AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've found a couple others as well, generally I just wire wrap them to make them into pendants. My question is, being that condition in the marble world seems to be everything, would these surf tumbled marbles be value-less? I do think they are cool that then were trashed and sunk and ended up on the beach!

The opaque and orange one is a little smaller than the other. Do you think its that worn down or perhaps was it smaller to begin with?
IMG-20131129-00202.jpg

IMG-20131129-00201.jpg

Next to them is a perfume bottle stopper, I wrap those into pendants too, the one I found is inscribed PATD 1898 1898 inscribed Perfume Stopper | Tru Origins
IMG-20131129-00200.jpg

Here is my beach glass for the morning, found a couple reds and a bunch of blues which always make my day!
IMG-20131129-00203.jpg

Thanks in advance for any input!

bottles10

May 2, 2007
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garriet
value-less to a marble collector but a good find for you. If they where a 2 or 3 hundred dollor marble you could have it polished.but there are not to many of them.

surf

Silver Member
Jan 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
seeing eye shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey Henry,

I've admired your work before. I do like that surf washed stopper, too.

What, may I ask, do you use for a drilling set up?

photo-25.jpg

OP
OP
HenryWaltonJonesJr

HenryWaltonJonesJr

Sep 2, 2013
Downtown Chicago
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here are some of the wire wrappings that are consigned by a store. Wish I took a close up of the blue marble (the blueberry) which is far left of center in this image.

photo (4).JPG

Here are some other wraps, including a very rare textured red.

photo (5).JPG
photo (6).JPG

Surf, to drill glass I use a Dremel (Although I've used a cheap $20 drill in the past) you're looking anywhere from 6,000 to 18,000 RPM on the drill. Diamond tipped drill bits of 1mm, you can do 1.5mm or more, but its harder to drill. Then setup a shallow plastic bowl, you'll be drilling underwater (reasons are threefold: for lubrication, to keep the heat down, and also not breath in glass particles), for under the glass use cardboard, or better yet that non-slip shelving liner people use for dish cupboards. Then its all about the bit and glass, some will drill like butter, others will not, if you're fighting it too much try another bit. Just don't push too hard or the glass or bit will break.

Drilling coke bottle remnants. Each piece says a bit of Coca and Cola. Four holes to each piece.
Coca-Cola2.jpg

Attachments

• photo (6).JPG
    photo (6).JPG
    625.8 KB · Views: 94
Last edited:

duffytrash

Bronze Member
Jun 10, 2006
ohio river
yup marblers wouldnt want those kinda marble cause of the condition...sometimes you can find marbles that were in a fish tank for a long time that look like that....theyre neat and have their niche

OP
OP
HenryWaltonJonesJr

HenryWaltonJonesJr

Sep 2, 2013
Downtown Chicago
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the replies, its good to know surf tumbled marbles don't really have value to collectors, but they do make nice jewelry! :)

photo (60).JPG
photo (61).JPG
photo (62).JPG

Here is the largest red we've found. We call it the Heart of Chicago, over 1 inch wide.

photo (65).JPG

jessca75

Greenie
Nov 25, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the replies, its good to know surf tumbled marbles don't really have value to collectors, but they do make nice jewelry! :)

View attachment 907777
View attachment 907778
View attachment 907779

Here is the largest red we've found. We call it the Heart of Chicago, over 1 inch wide.

View attachment 907785

I agree with you it appears to be really nice but women like me are not real fan of surf tumbled marbles specially when it comes to pendants and necklaces, I prefer diamond pendants because it gives the most elegant look when I wear it, however, these pendants might be god for casual outfit. A diamond pendant represents class :)

jessca75

Greenie
Nov 25, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here are some of the wire wrappings that are consigned by a store. Wish I took a close up of the blue marble (the blueberry) which is far left of center in this image.

View attachment 907382

Here are some other wraps, including a very rare textured red.

View attachment 907383
View attachment 907388

Surf, to drill glass I use a Dremel (Although I've used a cheap $20 drill in the past) you're looking anywhere from 6,000 to 18,000 RPM on the drill. Diamond tipped drill bits of 1mm, you can do 1.5mm or more, but its harder to drill. Then setup a shallow plastic bowl, you'll be drilling underwater (reasons are threefold: for lubrication, to keep the heat down, and also not breath in glass particles), for under the glass use cardboard, or better yet that non-slip shelving liner people use for dish cupboards. Then its all about the bit and glass, some will drill like butter, others will not, if you're fighting it too much try another bit. Just don't push too hard or the glass or bit will break.

Drilling coke bottle remnants. Each piece says a bit of Coca and Cola. Four holes to each piece.
View attachment 907385

These are also nice :)

OP
OP
HenryWaltonJonesJr

HenryWaltonJonesJr

Sep 2, 2013
Downtown Chicago
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Diamonds can present human rights violations because of the way they are sourced, but I agree, classy and beautiful (and a womans best friend).

Yet, beach glass is free to source, and actually helps the environment when you pick it up :).

=============
Sorry to see this person looks like an elegant link building machine.

Last edited:

jessca75

Greenie
Nov 25, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Disagree, there is nothing like this. I am planning to get a diamond pendant necklace from--------for my sister, women love them and are in market because of their value and elegance. How they are sourced I am not actually aware about it. Therefore, I disagree. No offense !

Last edited by a moderator:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
D8iisagree, there is nothing like this. I am planning to get a diamond pendant necklace from :censored: my sister, women love them and are in market because of their value and elegance. How they are sourced I am not actually aware about it. Therefore, I disagree. No offense !

Warning...Stop posting links to :censored: diamonds it is spam....

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread