Attachments

• K640_004.JPG
    K640_004.JPG
    35.8 KB · Views: 109

cheese

Silver Member
Jan 9, 2005
South Georgia
The two in the middle could be okay if they have no damage. I don't see anything from the one picture that makes them outstanding, but the one at 8:00 has a strange look that makes me want to see the rest of it... might be nothing. The other at 2:00 looks like it could be a nice master maybe worth $5 or $10 depending on better pictures. Duffy will probably be along with more info.

duffytrash

Bronze Member
Jun 10, 2006
ohio river
thesers a possibility of the marble at 8 oclock is a ravenswood....if the swirls dip back into the glass on a hook or c pattern im thinking cario.....

Gnome Punter

May 15, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think St.marys.
The cario would be a low end for me because of the purple and the lack of serpentine patterns
Just my input, Duffy's done this longer,but disagreeing is OK in this hobby :)

Red/white is a MK rainbow
Catseye..well, I got nothing good to say about catseyes....ever :P

Per master...possibly. Could also be an Akro patch.
I think,were it master, it would be closer to 1.00 as full blown,myriad of color, sunbursts bring 10.00

Pretty marbles either way and that swirl, love it.

cheese

Silver Member
Jan 9, 2005
South Georgia
Looks like a master comet to me from what I see, and decent examples of comets have been selling in the price range I indicated. Don't think I ever saw a master with a "myriad of color". Usually 3 colors is all they offered in one marble at a time.

The two mentioned are definitely the two interesting ones of the bunch. New MKs and cateyes are not even a dime a dozen. Cairos, ravenswoods, and masters on the other hand...

Last edited:

Gnome Punter

May 15, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a master comet to me from what I see, and decent examples of comets have been selling in the price range I indicated. Don't think I ever saw a master with a "myriad of color". Usually 3 colors is all they offered in one marble at a time.

The two mentioned are definitely the two interesting ones of the bunch. New MKs and cateyes are not even a dime a dozen. Cairos, ravenswoods, and masters on the other hand...

Comets, unless dark colors and contrasting colors, are 1.00 marbles.
Just check the bay.

Per myriad....check most Sunbursts as I stated.

DSC07287.JPG

DSC07286.JPG

DSC03290.JPG

And here are Masters with a myriad of colors.

You collect marbles ?

cheese

Silver Member
Jan 9, 2005
South Georgia
Yes, I collect marbles. Have for 25+ years, but I am always learning about them and don't claim to know it all. It is my understanding that master normally used 3 colors or less, and any perceived colors in the marble that resulted were from blending and chemical reactions from those 3 colors. Masters usually aren't very colorful. Even those you showed mostly appear to have several shades of 3 colors. Per sunbursts having more than 3 colors, read here: http://www.buymarbles.com/marblealan/master.html

It states, "The Master Marble Sunburst appears to have been an effort to reproduce the handmade onionskin marbles of an earlier era. These marbles have a clear transparent base which may be partially to entirely filled with colored glass filaments. The filaments run from one pole to the other and may be opaque to translucent and in a variety of colors. A variety of colors occurs, but most Sunbursts have only three colors or less in them. This trait helps differentiate them from Akro Agate Sparklers, which usually have more and brighter colors than do Sunbursts. However, some multicolored Sunbursts with four colors do exist."

I looked at ebay's completed listings and only 3 sold in the dollar range. All the others were 3 bucks and up. The only one with this color combination was at $10 but hasn't yet sold. I feel like this is becoming a pissing match; in which I am not inclined to participate. It's worth a dollar to you, five to me, so what? In either case, it's one of the only two that are worth anything in the OP. That's what they wanted to know.

Last edited:

Gnome Punter

May 15, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just a difference of opinions nothing more. if you consider such a "pissing contest" well, there is nothing I can say about that....except you must live in the Northern US :P

I find that marbles with a lot of striations are mostly all blends,but then again, how many true colors are there ?
Red,Blue,yellow.
That is it. Every other color in the world is made of these 3 colors. So to say a marble only has 3 colors and the rest are blends applies to EVERY marble as well as that websites "some four colors do exist" as there is no real 4th color as it is a blend of 2 or 3 of the main 3 colors.

When it comes to sunbursts and sparklers or even onion skins, I am fine using the entire wheel and all of it's blended colors to describe it.

I view Corkscrews in an entirely different way though :)

Not a pissing contest, just a discussion.

cheese

Silver Member
Jan 9, 2005
South Georgia
Ok, I just got that feeling after having "differing opinions" in several different threads all of a sudden. I've moderated forums and participated in forums for long enough to recognize that when someone new pops in and starts telling everyone they're wrong on different threads, a pissing match is what they're after. I'm a southern boy. Thick skinned, but I speak my mind. Sometimes it's a good thing, sometimes it's a fault. I can keep a level head though.

There is such thing as a 4th color. When a 4th glass nozzle introduces another color to a 3 color marble, or added a 4th color to the tank, it is a 4th color. If Master used red glass in one nozzle, blue in one, yellow in one, and tan in one, that's 4 colors (I don't know if master used nozzles or what). They intentionally used 4 different chemically created recipes to have 4 colors in that marble. The resulting marble will look like some of those you posted with lots of shades and blends. You can say what you want about the colors all deriving from the primary colors, and that is true scientifically speaking, but it has nothing to do with the lingo in the marble collecting world and means nothing there. You don't mix yellow and blue glass to get green.

Creating colors in glass and making that glass stable took years of development for the marble companies. The recipes for their glass was a closely guarded secret in many cases. There was actually glass espionage, where spies from other companies would try to discover how another company made their glass. It wasn't as simple as melting some of this color and some of that color and mix them until you get the color you wanted.

In the marble world, different colors means actual glass color that is introduced into the marble. If you have a blue and yellow corkscrew, chances are there is also grey and/or brown in that marble. It doesn't matter, it's still only a 2 color corkscrew. You only count the colors used. There were two glass nozzles introducing glass, one blue, and one yellow. Normally blue and yellow make green, but that doesn't always work in glass. The chemicals used to make the different colors react with each other and make brown and grey. So, you can have a corkscrew with blue, yellow, brown, grey, and even dark streaks that look like black, but it's still 2 color marble. It's important because three color corkscrews were premium marbles for akro, so when they turned on a 3rd nozzle, it changed the marble's construction, making it more collectible. Same for Master and the other companies. Some colors do blend to make the color you would expect. That's usually with translucent or transparent glass. Sometimes red over white will make orange or pink, sometimes red over yellow will create orange, but it's usually one over the other making it look like orange. I see an example like that in the masters you posted. It has a big red cap and some yellow next to it with orange in between. In the marble world, that orange is not a color in that marble because Master didn't put orange glass in that marble.

Last edited:

Gnome Punter

May 15, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with you there for most companies. While I do see .....exceptions like a Akro Cork that is orange and blue, being 2 colors.
I just consider marbles, with a plethora of filaments,exception to linear color views. It is a personal thing I suppose.
I do adhere to the view that white is not a color and should never be considered such

I also moderated :) Ran a website with a little over 900k members and I tend to look at combative views as a "critical" take and if there is no personal issues, nothing more than that.
I am sorry if my views were seen in the light of aggression. It is just how I am,firm view until CONVINCED otherwise...proof is relative :P

I also did not know marble glass was the mixture of multiple streams. I thought it was all tossed in an oven and SURPRISE!

cheese

Silver Member
Jan 9, 2005
South Georgia
The site I moderate has about 70k members at the moment. I only handle a small percentage of those members though, as I only moderate two forums. Been doing it since 2001 (can't believe it's been that long).

"I am sorry if my views were seen in the light of aggression. It is just how I am,firm view until CONVINCED otherwise...proof is relative :P" No problem, I am much the same way. Apologies for reading too much into your reply.

I don't generally view white as a color either. In cases like the vitro wedding cake, or swirls with a colored base and a white swirl instead of a white base with a colored swirl, then I might admit white as a color, since it was used in one of the color nozzles, not the base glass.

Last edited:

Gnome Punter

May 15, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, White DOES play into some specific marble names, but say a single color cork on white is nothing more than that :)
Or a parrot WITH white...is not a parrot and all that.
Glad we situated things.
The internet breeds more hostility and aggression than need be due to the lack of facial expressions,voice tones, etc.

Have a good one Cheese

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread