Pieces of the old akro factory

cheese

Silver Member
Jan 9, 2005
South Georgia
Here are some cool artifacts of the marble industry. The first pic is a broken spinner cup. That's the piece that made the famous corkscrew design for Akro agates. Shown with it is a piece of oven/tank brick with glass stuck to it.

The next is a broken off pintle valve out of the glass tank. This is what opened and closed the hole in the glass tank, allowing the glass to flow or shutting it off.

Next is a pic of 2 pieces of slag with oven/tank brick attached. One is encased like a candy bar in chocolate.
IMAG0714.jpg IMAG0712.jpg IMAG0715.jpg

OP
OP
cheese

cheese

Silver Member
Jan 9, 2005
South Georgia
No experience in the craft of making marbles, just collecting and identifying them. I think the marbles are cool, but the bits of the actual machines used to make them are just amazing to have, especially with the glass in colors I recognize from the very marbles I collect still stuck to them. Remnants of days gone by, when kids played in the dirt and men sweat in factories and life was simpler.

duffytrash

Bronze Member
Jun 10, 2006
ohio river
once you get the marble bug....its overwhelming the research you can do...to learn all you can about marbles.....theres always something that you find out or see.....and the marble find in the wild has the same feel as a winnin lottery ticket....the artifacts are great, cheese...ive got a chunk of debris from the st marys fire in 1959...I think I know where it is...ill find it and take a pic!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread