Help with id please?

dumpsterdiver

Dec 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
20140213_162812.jpg 20140213_162817.jpg 20140213_162910.jpg 20140213_162917.jpg

Found this batch at the thrift store the other day. If its something special I can take more photos. But really I just want to know the maker so I can start to distinguish the different makers myself. Thanks for any help! If anything is of value that would be nice to know too.

boomboom

Feb 3, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
those are all machine made modern marbles, ya didnt find the BOOM!, but always good to check!

OP
OP
D

dumpsterdiver

Dec 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks, I can spot a machine marble over a handmade one I think. But I do not understand how to rule out Chinese made marbles from Marbleking other factory marbles. If there is a simple rule of thumb other than just looking at lots of marbles it would be nice to know.

Last edited:

cheese

Silver Member
Jan 9, 2005
South Georgia
Thanks, I can spot a machine marble over a handmade one I think. But I do not understand how to rule out Chinese made marbles from Marbleking other factory marbles. If there is a simple rule of thumb other than just looking at lots of marbles it would be nice to know.

When it comes to marbles, there are no "simple" rules of thumb. Those pictured are modern Jabos. If you look at the construction, you can see that the majority are single fold types. Many will have what is referred to as the jabo "buttcrack", where the two sides fold together to form what sorta looks like a butt crack.

Chinese marbles are usually easily detected by the colors of glass and construction. They often have an orange peel type texture to the glass, as do many larger jabos. There are exceptions to every rule though... this is just a general observation, not applying to every case. Marble kings have their specific traits too. They have long seams on opposite poles that make the marble look as if it were made of 2 halves. There are so many things to look at in identifying marbles. The seams are usually the tell. When the seams don't tell, the glass does, or if it's a swirl with no seams, the glass and behavior of the ribbons in the swirl often tells. Some marbles are often difficult or even impossible to tell where they came from no matter how much of an expert you are. Some manufacturers used the same machines, and made different marbles in different ways over the years, in different plants. It takes a lot to learn. Look at Joemarbles.com Home Page at the pictures there for each manufacturer. Get yourself a bunch of old marbles and get hands on experience. That's the best way by a long shot. Post them here for ID and an explanation of how they got IDed if you want. I like the challenge of IDing marbles because it hones my skills and I learn in the process. I'm not always right, but then again, nobody is when it comes to marbles.

OP
OP
D

dumpsterdiver

Dec 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the great reply. I like Id'ing glass but have a mental block on marbles. I'm going to study the Jabo "butt crack" and that page. Probably need to buy a bag from the dollar store to learn what not to look for. I have some more and when I come across them I will post.

Thanks gain.

When it comes to marbles, there are no "simple" rules of thumb. Those pictured are modern Jabos. If you look at the construction, you can see that the majority are single fold types. Many will have what is referred to as the jabo "buttcrack", where the two sides fold together to form what sorta looks like a butt crack.

Chinese marbles are usually easily detected by the colors of glass and construction. They often have an orange peel type texture to the glass, as do many larger jabos. There are exceptions to every rule though... this is just a general observation, not applying to every case. Marble kings have their specific traits too. They have long seams on opposite poles that make the marble look as if it were made of 2 halves. There are so many things to look at in identifying marbles. The seams are usually the tell. When the seams don't tell, the glass does, or if it's a swirl with no seams, the glass and behavior of the ribbons in the swirl often tells. Some marbles are often difficult or even impossible to tell where they came from no matter how much of an expert you are. Some manufacturers used the same machines, and made different marbles in different ways over the years, in different plants. It takes a lot to learn. Look at Joemarbles.com Home Page at the pictures there for each manufacturer. Get yourself a bunch of old marbles and get hands on experience. That's the best way by a long shot. Post them here for ID and an explanation of how they got IDed if you want. I like the challenge of IDing marbles because it hones my skills and I learn in the process. I'm not always right, but then again, nobody is when it comes to marbles.

cheese

Silver Member
Jan 9, 2005
South Georgia
No problem. I understand the mental block thing. I get a fast grasp on most things I set out to learn, but marbles was quite the task and still is. There are some traits that will take a while to learn, and it will seem like every time you think you know, you're wrong, and then one day it will be like you topped a hill, and suddenly it begins to fall together and make sense. At least that's how it was for me.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread