Bronze Member
Jun 19, 2013
Stony Point, NY
Detector(s) used
Whites coin master gt..ace 250&350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't have a clue about marbles..

I find many marbles when I dig bottles and sift, can anybody give me some insight to what I may have? Thanks
20150107_112326.jpg

cheese

Silver Member
Jan 9, 2005
South Georgia
They are old marbles from the early 1900s up to the 60s maybe.

First row is clay and crockery, a west virginia swirl of some sort, and a couple cateyes.
Second row is harder to tell from the pics, bt looks like some west virginia swirls, maybe a couple vitros, maybe a merble king, not sure.
Third row is a game marble, a peltier multi color swirl, a peltier rainbo probably, some clearies and a WV swirl.
4th row is a cateye and a WV swirl... probably alley or ravenswood.

OP
OP
MuckyBottles

MuckyBottles

Bronze Member
Jun 19, 2013
Stony Point, NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They are old marbles from the early 1900s up to the 60s maybe.

First row is clay and crockery, a west virginia swirl of some sort, and a couple cateyes.
Second row is harder to tell from the pics, bt looks like some west virginia swirls, maybe a couple vitros, maybe a merble king, not sure.
Third row is a game marble, a peltier multi color swirl, a peltier rainbo probably, some clearies and a WV swirl.
4th row is a cateye and a WV swirl... probably alley or ravenswood.

Thanks for your help, I tried looking up marbles before this post and I got lost...lol

bullgill

Jun 8, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like the mocha/caramel WV swirl. I have one that is like a green base with the mocha streaks, I love it.

You start to recognize marbles after a little research, each company had a style their own. Now telling apart each West Virginia company is another story.

The left of the page has marble company names, click on them to learn about them you will learn quickly what is what. http://www.marblecollecting.com/marble-reference/online-marble-id-guide/

Peoples lack of knowledge about marbles is exploited every day. I often buy marbles for pennies and turn around and sell them for crazy money. I found a limeade oxblood marble that I bought with some other marbles, paid almost nothing for it and sold it for $250!

OP
OP
MuckyBottles

MuckyBottles

Bronze Member
Jun 19, 2013
Stony Point, NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just dug today a pair of pontiled marbles
CM150418-20124908.jpg

cheese

Silver Member
Jan 9, 2005
South Georgia
It's an onionskin... they are handmade and they have pontils. The pontil is located at the ends of the swirl, just as shown in the pic.

bullgill

Jun 8, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I understand what pontiled and transitional marbles looks like. The possible pontil could just be a hit mark in the location that you would expect to see a pontil. I have had a few marbles that had hit marks in that location, plenty of machine made marbles have that swirl pattern.

Like I said it very well could be a pontil but the picture is no good and I think it could go either way.

cheese

Silver Member
Jan 9, 2005
South Georgia
Plenty of machine made marbles have that swirl pattern? o_0

It's not a hit mark, but either way... MuckyBottles is right, it is a pontiled marble whether it has hit marks or not.

OP
OP
MuckyBottles

MuckyBottles

Bronze Member
Jun 19, 2013
Stony Point, NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most of the items dug at this location is pre 1860, if that means anything

bullgill

Jun 8, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most of the items dug at this location is pre 1860, if that means anything
Yes it does! lol

I am looking at it again on a brighter screen and it looks like a pontil to me, nice find! People mistake hit marks for pontil so often it is like an automatic response for me to doubt it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread