Alley agates

drizzlermibs

Bronze Member
Nov 15, 2015
Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
These are beautiful as well! Again, being rather new at this, oxblood is a lot easier for me to discern "in hand"....are the two mibs in the center in pic 3 oxblood? Either way they are stunning.

OP
OP
cheese

cheese

Silver Member
Jan 9, 2005
South Georgia
Thank you! No, the only oxblood in these is in the marble shown at about 7:00 of the black and white marble in the center of the last picture.
Oxblood is one of the first challenges that novices enounter. Just look at oxblood marbles on ebay and you'll see more mi-IDed oxblood than real oxblood probably. Once you get it figured out it becomes easy though.

Last edited:

drizzlermibs

Bronze Member
Nov 15, 2015
Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you! No, the only oxblood in these is in the marble shown at about 7:00 of the black and white marble in the center of the last picture.
Oxblood is one of the first challenges that novices enounter. Just look at oxblood marbles on ebay and you'll see more mi-IDed oxblood than real oxblood probably. Once you get it figured out it becomes easy though.

I see it in your photo now!!! I didn't think I would ever discern the difference of all the diff reds/maroons etc from oxblood but one day I was poking around in my Akro's and "bam" it stood out like a beacon! I 'liken' it to a rich burgundy velvet. (The other HUGE stumbling block for me was pontils...oh those lovely little creatures!! growlllll.....) Out of curiosity, do you collect all kinds or do you focus on any one type? I'm still debating if I want to have a "focus" or keep going as I am. It can get overwhelming not "picking" one type b/c it makes it much more difficult to ID, not to mention the fact I am running out of room in my house!

OP
OP
cheese

cheese

Silver Member
Jan 9, 2005
South Georgia
I collect them all, as long as they are old. I don't care for newer stuff, even if they are collector's runs and handmade contemporary. I just like the history of the old ones.

Yeah, pontils are another early challenge. Some folks collect only one type. I can't imagine, there are so many nice ones I would have a hard time keeping it to one.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread