diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not a marble expert but the first thing I thought of was a Peltier or Christensen slag, leaning towards the latter because of the seam.

cheese

Silver Member
Jan 9, 2005
South Georgia
It's not a slag, but it does look like it could be CAC (Christensen Agate Company). I assume it's about 5/8"? Size does matter when IDing marbles. The more I look, the more I'm undecided. Alley and Ravenswood also come to mind but I keep going more to CAC.

OP
OP
D

drizzlermibs

Bronze Member
Nov 15, 2015
Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's not a slag, but it does look like it could be CAC (Christensen Agate Company). I assume it's about 5/8"? Size does matter when IDing marbles. The more I look, the more I'm undecided. Alley and Ravenswood also come to mind but I keep going more to CAC.

My digital caliper reads .61 - (if that translates to 5/8"?!). I was poking around online today and am wondering if it could possibly be a Cairo swirl? I rarely consider the lesser known makers; but for this one I have been searching all over. (It does have a translucent base which is hard to see from the pic). Tx.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok. I was just looking at the one I found that I thought looked the closest to it, which was the Christensen brown slag. I'm not a marble collector so I'm sure you know more than me. Christensen Agate Marble ID

christ5.jpg

OP
OP
D

drizzlermibs

Bronze Member
Nov 15, 2015
Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can't see it being Cairo. Looking again I still think CAC.

The only reason I "grasped" at Cairo is b/c on one website (Joe's), there was a mib of some semblance in general to the almost "woody" tones I'm getting from it. That said, on another site, none of the mibs listed for Cairo looked remotely close! Tx all for the input.

cheese

Silver Member
Jan 9, 2005
South Georgia
Yeah, judging by the construction it pretty much rules out Cairo for the most part. Cairos are pretty much single fold marbles like Jabo classics. They were made from one short stream that folded over on itself once or twice as it hit the rollers and that's about it. So, you don't get much action, usually a C, U, or P shape from the ribbon. They also usually have bubbles in the transparent glass when they have transparent areas.

That's definitely a CAC slag you showed Diggumup.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread