OP
D

drizzlermibs

Bronze Member
Nov 15, 2015
Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Vitro on the left andf maybe Jabo on the right.

I don't want to be one of those newbies who thinks they know a bunch of stuff (when they know very little...i.e.: me!!); but I have to say while the 2nd mib shows some Jabo traits, the glass just doesn't fit in. I accidentally purchased a SLEW of Jabos early on (I'm not a fan of them) and none of them exhibited the type of glass in this one. Would you have a second choice ID? Tx. Oh, while speaking of Jabos, I have a bunch of them that appear black but when under a mag, they show a lot of "glitter". Do you know what they mite be called? I would imagine very hard to photograph, altho I have not tried. Tx again for any thots.

cheese

Silver Member
Jan 9, 2005
South Georgia
Well, it's a single fold marble, so that pretty much imits it to Jabo or Cairo. Cairos usually have thinner ribbons than this, but I also felt like the glass is older than Jabo, so maybe it's a Cairo like you suspected.

The glitter in the Jabos is called aventurine.

OP
OP
D

drizzlermibs

Bronze Member
Nov 15, 2015
Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, it's a single fold marble, so that pretty much imits it to Jabo or Cairo. Cairos usually have thinner ribbons than this, but I also felt like the glass is older than Jabo, so maybe it's a Cairo like you suspected.

The glitter in the Jabos is called aventurine.

Thank you. Like I said, I never want to make a mib something it isn't (I have seen some newbies go over the edge if they don't like the ID!), not the case with me. I tried to picture what you were saying about the single fold in your other post; I THINK understood it somewhat because I looked at a Jabo to see it. Is it basically just that it limits the swirl pattern? I certainly did not know only Jabo/Cairo mibs had that make up; so thank you for that info as well!

cheese

Silver Member
Jan 9, 2005
South Georgia
I hear ya. If you look at any machine made marble, they all have a beginning and an end. Sometimes they aren't possible to find, but they are there. The stream of glass begins, and then the machine cuts it off where it ends. This stream can be a thin little stream and it may take a long stream to make the marble (this is when you get nice flames, crazy patterned swirls, stuff like that). This takes longer to make a marble, so as time went on, the manufacturers made the stream wider so that they could extrude the volume of a marble faster and increase numbers produced per day. Patches and the like were made from a stream about as big as the marble. Swirls were not. But if the stream was pretty wide, it would only have to double over once before it was big enough to make a marble instead of drizzling several layers. This is what makes a single fold marble. It's what makes the famouns Jabo "buttcrack". Cairo also made them similarly, but often they had a little more than just the one single fold. Usually Cairos have most of the pattern on one side of the marble and not much to look at on the other. They also often had bubbles and not a huge variety of bold colors. Hope that helps.

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

drizzlermibs

Bronze Member
Nov 15, 2015
Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hear ya. If you look at any machine made marble, they all have a beginning and an end. Sometimes they aren't possible to find, but they are there. The stream of glass begins, and then the machine cuts it off where it ends. This stream can be a thin little stream and it may take a long stream to make the marble (this is when you get nice flames, crazy patterned swirls, stuff like that). This takes longer to make a marble, so as time went on, the manufacturers made the stream wider so that they could extrude the volume of a marble faster and increase numbers produced per day. Patches and the like were made from a stream about as big as the marble. Swirls were not. But if the stream was pretty wide, it would only have to double over once before it was big enough to make a marble instead of drizzling several layers. This is what makes a single fold marble. It's what makes the famouns Jabo "buttcrack". Cairo also made them similarly, but often they had a little more than just the one single fold. Usually Cairos have most of the pattern on one side of the marble and not much to look at on the other. They also often had bubbles and not a huge variety of bold colors. Hope that helps.

Thank you so much. Yes it does help. Even if not an easy concept to wrap my head around! I'm not mechanical; more artistical...think I need to see one in the making to really "get it". Got a few more coming your way if ya don't mind swirls. The forum I use, great bunch, don't like em b/c they are so ambigious.

cheese

Silver Member
Jan 9, 2005
South Georgia
Sure, post away. I like talking marbles. The folks over at allaboutmarbles are pretty friendly and willing to share info. Seems like a few marble collectors hoard their knowledge as much as their marbles, like they think they are special being privy to some tidbit of information. Most of them seem to be pretty friendly folks though. I go by the same moniker over at that site.

I'd like to see more activity here, so maybe some discussion would bring in a few others? Duffy used to comment here a lot but I haven't seen him in a while. He's pretty knowledgeable about marbles.

OP
OP
D

drizzlermibs

Bronze Member
Nov 15, 2015
Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What I meant in my earlier post is that the forum I use doesn't like to ID swirls (for the most part) because the mibs are difficult to differentiate...not that the people ID'ing were ambiguous! (I re-read my post and that is what it sounds like I meant! The group has helped me enormously and I have so appreciated them!) Anywho, I will pull some swirls that I think are more "ID'able" then the others and see what you think! Tx again.

OP
OP
D

drizzlermibs

Bronze Member
Nov 15, 2015
Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sure, post away. I like talking marbles. The folks over at allaboutmarbles are pretty friendly and willing to share info. Seems like a few marble collectors hoard their knowledge as much as their marbles, like they think they are special being privy to some tidbit of information. Most of them seem to be pretty friendly folks though. I go by the same moniker over at that site.

I'd like to see more activity here, so maybe some discussion would bring in a few others? Duffy used to comment here a lot but I haven't seen him in a while. He's pretty knowledgeable about marbles.

Are you on the "board" (or whatever it is called) on this forum in general? The reason I ask is that I was thinking that perhaps the lack of activity could be attributed to the fact that this category is a "sub" category of glass? I know I did not see this forum until you pointed it out. (Maybe b/c all marbles aren't glass; or I was just new to the site). Anywho, it just seems it doesn't stand out as it perhaps would on its own. Maybe, tho, there are just too many categories to begin with? I dunno. Just a thot I had.

cheese

Silver Member
Jan 9, 2005
South Georgia
Hmm, good point. No, I don't moderate it. It might be worth asking administration to make this it's own forum. Marble collecting is definitely not closely related to bottles.

T.C.

Bronze Member
May 17, 2012
Kalamity Falls, Orygun
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting forum!! Can any of you gents tell me what this is??...besides a marble:laughing7:
012a.jpg Thanks!!

T.C.

Bronze Member
May 17, 2012
Kalamity Falls, Orygun
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you, cheese!! I will be back with a few more for your expert opinion....thanks again!!:thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread