That whatever it was arrived..I think

drizzlermibs

Bronze Member
Nov 15, 2015
Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
modern. You? #3

Wasn't sure if you saw, folks seem to think #3 is a polished Ravens. I thot I'd throw this in - pic is of one of my other mibs ID'd as Heaton. I realized after looking at pics sure don't look like same maker, but colors sure are close. (I know I'm prob just confusing myself more....which is TOTALLY not a good thing!!!)

Attachments

• IMG_7722.JPG
    IMG_7722.JPG
    631 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_7723.JPG
    IMG_7723.JPG
    528.7 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_7749.JPG
    IMG_7749.JPG
    809.5 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_7750.JPG
    IMG_7750.JPG
    680.5 KB · Views: 97
Last edited:

cheese

Silver Member
Jan 9, 2005
South Georgia
I dunno... I wouldn't dismiss it so fast. Do you know Ron S.? He is the best swirl expert I know that is very willing to help people learn, I would check with him on it. I think a modern maker would have made something with more action and color. Nice Alley inky in the middle! I guess you know pelt on the left.

Hot diggity

Nov 19, 2014
I have no idea who manufactured them & I'm far from an expert. Just going off memories of my collection from grades 1 & 2 in the mid 80's. They just looked more retro, air bubbles, slight imperfections & were usually quite beat up. That said some of the marbles we used may have been decades old back then. I remember some that looked similar to the one on the left, but I'd put $ on the other two being only ten or twenty years old judging by style & lack of wear, but I figure you would know more about modern marbles than me. They're nice though. Edit...come to think of it I'm pretty sure we had similar ones to the one on the right too. It might not be so new either. I guess it's only the middle one that looks pretty new to me. Great condition if any of them are older. Don't take my word for it though, I lost my marbles long ago :}

Last edited:

cheese

Silver Member
Jan 9, 2005
South Georgia
The two on the left are 100% certain old. The left one is a peltier from the 1940s or so, and the middle one is an Alley inky. Alley did not operate after 1949, so it was made before that. The right one is the one we talked about earlier, wondering if it could be a modern torch made marble or not. I don't think it is but I don't know who made it either... i can't find any identifying features.

cheese

Silver Member
Jan 9, 2005
South Georgia
They do look similar. Do you have a loupe? A polished marble can be identified as such under good magnification. Did they both come from the same lot? I don't know why someone would have polished a simple ravenswood like that unless they were using it for a practice marble or something like that. It takes time and work and is usually reserved for marbles that will have some value after being polished. A polished marble that would be worth $30 in mint condition will be only worth around $5 polished.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread