650.5 KB · Views: 118
  • IMG_8373.JPG
    IMG_8373.JPG
    598.2 KB · Views: 60

cheese

Silver Member
Jan 9, 2005
South Georgia
I agree. The first is a muddie... not hard to find really but the second is a bit different, never seen one like it. You might check with a Pelt guru and see if it has a name!

OP
OP
D

drizzlermibs

Bronze Member
Nov 15, 2015
Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree. The first is a muddie... not hard to find really but the second is a bit different, never seen one like it. You might check with a Pelt guru and see if it has a name!

I did post on LOM as you suggested; but I wanted to add that I scoped it out a bit more and discovered the base is actually translucent orangish if that gives you anything more to go on.

OP
OP
D

drizzlermibs

Bronze Member
Nov 15, 2015
Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No, that only adds to the "strangeness". I wonder about it.

Not to beat a dead horse but only one stab at it on LOM - as a Muddy. I thot that too initially until you ID'd the other one as as a Muddy, but not the one in question. I'm not seeing the potential for it to be anything but a Pelt, so it must be missing/or has a trait that is throwing you off. What about this one strikes you as unusual?

cheese

Silver Member
Jan 9, 2005
South Georgia
The big wide bands, and the base looks different from the muddy one, at least on my screen. Especially with "transparent orangish" base glass. Is it full of bubbles? Kokomo even crossed my mind.

OP
OP
D

drizzlermibs

Bronze Member
Nov 15, 2015
Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The big wide bands, and the base looks different from the muddy one, at least on my screen. Especially with "transparent orangish" base glass. Is it full of bubbles? Kokomo even crossed my mind.

The base is very different than the Muddy. I just can't get the rite shot of the base which is obvious under mag. The color I see then is like the color of this other mib which I could snap a bit easier for whatever reason. Yes, it is filled with bubbles and I almost wonder if there are so many they are catching/capturing any lite I put to it making it appear orange? I dunno. Guess one of those mystery mibs. (First pic is just for an example of the color in another mib; second one an attempt to photog the mib in question when backlit.)

Attachments

• IMG_8398.JPG
    IMG_8398.JPG
    375.3 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_8400.JPG
    IMG_8400.JPG
    495.2 KB · Views: 111
Last edited:

cheese

Silver Member
Jan 9, 2005
South Georgia
Looks like the "fire" of opalescent glass. What does the rest of the other marble look like? If they are the same base glass, it's possible they might be from the same maker. o IDing marbles by glass... another way to get an ID when seams, size, and pattern don't reveal the whole story.

OP
OP
D

drizzlermibs

Bronze Member
Nov 15, 2015
Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like the "fire" of opalescent glass. What does the rest of the other marble look like? If they are the same base glass, it's possible they might be from the same maker. o IDing marbles by glass... another way to get an ID when seams, size, and pattern don't reveal the whole story

Draggin my feet to tell you what the other mib looks like - and the reason why you might ask?? Because, to me, it looks like a smooshed up smaller version of the mib you ID'd as a Muddy but with the base of "unknown"!!! AAARRRGGGHHH. I guess what it comes down to for me is can a Muddy be both either opaque or opalescent? I know the two I have that were ID'd as "true" Muddy's have a very translucent, red base glass. After a bit of reviewing of old posts, it seems that it is one of those marbles that started off with well-defined criteria that expanded to include others? I am sure you are sick of seeing this mib by now so I'll put it in with my Pelts after your final look see and leave it at that! Tx for your patience on this one..

Pic: #1 - the unknown; #2 - mib from yesterday; #3 - mib that I similar to #2; #4 - The Muddy.
Bottom row: #1 Same type of opalescent base and #2 - ID'd as a "true Muddy".

Attachments

• IMG_8406.JPG
    IMG_8406.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 51
  • IMG_8407.JPG
    IMG_8407.JPG
    897 KB · Views: 49

cheese

Silver Member
Jan 9, 2005
South Georgia
I was hoping it would clear up the questions, but it just "muddied" it up even worse... :D Har har, I kill myself. The short answer is I don't know. Send Chuck G. a message about it, he is always eager to help (doesn't he post over at LOM?)

OP
OP
D

drizzlermibs

Bronze Member
Nov 15, 2015
Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was hoping it would clear up the questions, but it just "muddied" it up even worse... :D Har har, I kill myself. The short answer is I don't know. Send Chuck G. a message about it, he is always eager to help (doesn't he post over at LOM?)

YOU DON'T KNOW??? I HAVE TO GO TO SLEEP YET AGAIN LIKE THIS? Never seen Chuck G on LOM.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions