OP
D

drizzlermibs

Bronze Member
Nov 15, 2015
Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kokomo. It was made on the peltier machine.
Top shelf for kokomo too, hang on to it, it's a nice one!

How ironic that I purchased this one early on in my collecting days when I knew even less than I know now (which ain't much!)!! Was not ID'd as a Koko - I just liked it. After I said only seen one like it, I poked around on AAM "hard to find Pelts" and saw a few more that come very close. But they are ID'd as Pelts...Guess the Koko/Pelt dilemma one of the other "bones of contention" amongst collectors? What makes you go Koko? I'm guessing base glass?

cheese

Silver Member
Jan 9, 2005
South Georgia
Hmm, if they were IDed at AAM as pelts, maybe it's not koko after all. I feel like the argument could be made though. I see a crease at the seam, the low grade base glass, and 2 stripes on one side and a solid wide one of a different color on the other side. All things that appear more frequently on kokomos. I'm still thinking it's a Kokomo. IDs change through the years as more information becomes available and more people study them and notice traits that make IDing more accurate. Like vitro helmets used to be thought to be made by Akro. Most corals used to be thought to have been made by Champion, etc...

How often do you see a crease at the seam on a pelt? Or one wide ribbon of one color on one side and two of another on the other on a pelt? It's common on kokomos though.

OP
OP
D

drizzlermibs

Bronze Member
Nov 15, 2015
Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hmm, if they were IDed at AAM as pelts, maybe it's not koko after all. I feel like the argument could be made though. I see a crease at the seam, the low grade base glass, and 2 stripes on one side and a solid wide one of a different color on the other side. All things that appear more frequently on kokomos. I'm still thinking it's a Kokomo. IDs change through the years as more information becomes available and more people study them and notice traits that make IDing more accurate. Like vitro helmets used to be thought to be made by Akro. Most corals used to be thought to have been made by Champion, etc...

How often do you see a crease at the seam on a pelt? Or one wide ribbon of one color on one side and two of another on the other on a pelt? It's common on kokomos though.
Thanks. That cleared it all right up for me. LOL LOL.

OP
OP
D

drizzlermibs

Bronze Member
Nov 15, 2015
Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I went back to my post on LOM on this mib and, interesting to note (which I didn't recall), is that you also thot Koko when I posted it back then. I looked closely at this mib again. When you say "crease", do you mean an indentation by the seam? Anywho, here are three more that you thot possibly Kokos that I put in a separate bag. Still of the same opinion? Do you have your possible Kokos sorted out from your Pelts? Would love to see a photo if you have one handy.

Attachments

• IMG_9972.JPG
    IMG_9972.JPG
    448.3 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_9973.JPG
    IMG_9973.JPG
    424.3 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_9974.JPG
    IMG_9974.JPG
    444.8 KB · Views: 64

cheese

Silver Member
Jan 9, 2005
South Georgia
Yes, I went back and read that post too, and Steph said the one she has came out of a Champion Jr. bag. That's all the provenance I need, it's a peltier, I am wrong about Kokomo. That low grade base was used on a lot of the mibs found in the champ jr bags too. Good to know this. It just shows how hard it can be to separate some makers. Peltier and Koko can be really hard to separate because they used the same machine and set it up in about the same manner. Kokos usually have cheaper glass and lots of bubbles but not all the time. I do have some kokos I'll post a pic of. I have more than these, but this is a pic I had on hand. In your pic, I'm pretty sure the red one is Koko. The other two may be but may not be.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions